Celtics close to reeling in Ainge: Announcement could come today

---

            HERALD INTERACTIVE TOOLS
             Email this Article to a Friend
             Printer Friendly Version
             Subscribe to the Boston Herald
                 The shortest distance
                      between you and the news.

            RECENT ARTICLES
            Ainge could return (05/08/2003)
            MORE ARTICLES

            STATS AND STANDINGS
            CELTICS
             Celtics Directory
             Individual Stats
             Results
             Roster
             Schedule
             More Celtics News
             Celtics Archives
            NBA
             NBA Scoreboard
             Teams Index
             Injuries
             Odds
             Previews
             Scores - Previous
             Schedule
             Standings - East
             Standings - West
             Statistics
             College Basketball

            RELATED SITES
            MetroWest Sports
            Daily News Tribune Sports
            Milford Daily News Sports
            Daily News Transcript Sports
            Boston MCAS Results: Town Online
            WEEI 850am: Sports Radio

Celtics close to reeling in Ainge: Announcement could come today

by Steve Bulpett
Friday, May 9, 2003

Danny Ainge will be the Celtics new head of basketball operations, pending
resolution of a few remaining issues. Team sources confirmed Ainge met again
with club officials yesterday, at which time he was formally offered the
position.

      Somebody's Got
      To Say It
      The Herald's fearless news coverage consistently gives readers the story
behind the story.
      Get Home Delivery
      Access Columnists
      Subscribe to eEdition

The former Celtics guard is still in town and has been removed from his duties
as color commentator on TNT for tonight's Game 3 of the Celtics-New Jersey
series. An announcement of his hiring could come as early as today if the
remaining points are cleared up. Team officials were confident an agreement
would be finalized and were looking for the best way to fit in the
announcement.

The latter point is sensitive after word that news of the Ainge courtship did
not sit well with the Celtics' players and coaches because of the timing.
Those most involved with the on-court effort were reportedly not appreciative
of the fact the potential change in direction for the basketball operation is
unfolding while the team is in the midst of the Eastern Conference semifinals
against New Jersey.

There were said to be some harsh words for the situation when it was revealed
to the club on the flight back from New Jersey late Wednesday night.

The new ownership expressed hope in private that Ainge's presence in the
organization would help the club sell tickets as the price increases go into
effect for next season. The idea is that Ainge is still a popular figure in
the area after playing on Celtics championship teams in 1984 and 1986.

Ainge has been looking for the opportunity to run a team, and he is very much
interested in doing it with his former team. He said Wednesday night that
uprooting his family from its Phoenix home is a key consideration, but that
looked to be resolved yesterday.

The final key issues revolved around the scope of his authority and the
willingness of the club's new owners to use all the available avenues to
construct a team capable of winning an NBA title. Ainge reportedly sought
assurances that he would be able to do the job as he sees fit.

Co-owner Wyc Grousbeck has been quoted in the Herald as saying the team will
not use the mid-level exception to sign a free agent in the offseason. For
teams over the salary cap like the Celtics, the mid-level ($4.5 million this
past year) is the quickest way to add talent, and certainly Ainge would like
to have the tool at his disposal.

Ainge said yesterday he is still discussing the position and has yet to reach
a final agreement, but that appeared to be almost a formality later last
night. If he accepts, he will occupy a position above general manager Chris
Wallace in the organization.

Reached yesterday in Madrid where he is on a scouting trip, Wallace had no
comment on the matter. But sources said Wallace would not necessarily look to
get out of a situation in which he has three years remaining on his contract.

League sources said yesterday that the Celtics denied Atlanta permission to
speak with Wallace and player personnel director Leo Papile about openings
with the Hawks.

Papile would not comment on that last night, but did say of the potential
addition of Ainge, ``I think it's pretty clear we've been understaffed
compared to what other teams have, and to be able to get a person of Danny
Ainge's caliber would obviously be great for the organization.''

Meanwhile, speculation was beginning as to what moves Ainge could make with
the club. Ainge said last year on TNT that he doesn't think a team with both
Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce could win a championship.

This past February, before working a Celtics game for the cable outlet in
Portland, he expressed the belief that the C's have a talent deficiency.

``I feel like Jim O'Brien does a fantastic job of coaching,'' he said. ``I
just look at their roster and I don't think that they're a great basketball
team. Last year was exciting, but I thought they lost to a team (New Jersey)
that was better than them. It's that simple. I think it's just interesting how
they play.''

Speaking of the Celts' penchant for the 3-point shot, Ainge said, ``I think
that when you're talking about shooting those shots, it all depends on who and
when. I think philosophically it's a pretty sound strategy, especially with
the personnel they have. They have a lot of guys that are really good 3-point
shooters. I think Antoine is one of your top scorers, so he has the ultimate
green light. And when I watch the team play I think that his shot selection is
the most suspect of anybody's on the team. But he's given that freedom and
that's why he's had success.''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of email.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of printer.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of home.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of more_headlines_symbol.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of bruins_dot.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of wedaddress_symbol.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of pick_upBH.gif]