Comments..Walker, Walter and Danny!

In a message dated 5/8/2003 7:19:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Celtics-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> Walter is playing as well as you can ask of a guy who is
> essentially a 6th, 7th or 8th man.  Give him a couple of years and he could
>
> become a very competent role player in this league.  I'd like to see him
> develop a shot somewhere between 3 and 23 feet, though.  We miss having a
> point guard.

He hasn't played well against NJ though..and Walter is peaking. At 29 this is
as good as he gets.

Jefferson was abusing him on defense. Though he is quick he can't stay with
Jefferson. McCarty does have a midrange shot though..lets not sell him short.
He is SUPPOSED to stand and the three point line and hit threes in this
scheme and he does this well.

<<<<Walker's value is going down. Guess what? We're probably stuck with him.
He
should have been traded when the opportunity was there. NJ is just toying
with us. They turn it on and off at will. You can't beat a deep team like NJ
with just 3 guys. We won 1of the last 9 with NJ, how's our chance of winning
4-5?>>>

Lets not get crazy..
NJ has been a  mediocre road most of the year compared to how well they do at
home. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Celts won the next two
games. McCarty and Delk have played terribly and Walker has been abysmal.
There is much room for improvement. Personally, I hope Walker scales it back
and concentrates on distrubuting and rebounding. He can't score against
Martin.

<<<For the K.Brown fans, where is Kedrick?>>>

Err on the bench.

With Williams and McCarty just being ABUSED by Jefferson you might think we
would see him...but no. OB seems to be a smart coach but sometimes I am
mystified by how unwilling he is to change his game plan on the fly. It was
obvious that those guys couldn't guard Jefferson and he wouldn't bring in KB
or switch Pierce on him... Either of those moves would have shut him down.
Jefferson while more offensively skilled then the unsightly and ungainly
Artest is still pretty wooden. He can be stopped by someone of comparable
athletically ability.

I suspect OB doesn't want to give up the offensive ability of Walter and
Williams for Kedrick's incredibly raw, hustle only offensive game... Cleary
KB needs to ramp up and grab the starting spot next year. Like Jefferson he
just needs mediocre jumpshot to keep people honest..and a point guard to get
him the ball.

I hope Danny comes on board.

Though I have defended Wallace... I do think Danny will do much better. I
like him much better then Bird as a GM. Danny will not hesitate to grab what
the Celts really need - distrbuting, penetrating point with an outside shot.
(Ridnour, Hinrich?) over some combo guard. Even better for Danny I don't
think we need to trade up to get this guy.. Wallace is correct in asserting
that their are lots of points in this draft.

Walker will be moved as well, if the price is right. Danny does not seem to
be a fan of Walker. We had better get something for him though. He can
dominate most PF at times just not K-Mart, Duncan, Webber or KG. Guys that
match his speed and height/weight seem to shut him down.

It's an interesting contrast with PP who is so skilled though that even
superior athletes like Kobe can't stop him. The only person that can stop
Pierce is Pierce. He takes such difficult shots that occasionaly he just has
bad games. Oh yeah I think the Pierce/Walker debate is finally over. PP is
looking postively KG's esque...

I pray though that Ainge resists the new GM/talk-show urge to just clean
house...
The Celts do have some underrated players like Battie, McCarty and KB IMHO.
Even Bremer shows some promise as a backup, and Blount has impressed me some.

Pete