Re: Walker

--- You wrote:
P.S. It'll never happen, but I've been playing around with some Antoine
trades on RealGM, looking at teams that might have an interest and a match.
How about Chicago, with the Bulls sending Jamaal Crawford and Tyson Chandler
back as the keys to a package for Antoine. Chicago would get the "star" they
need, and a hometown guy who could replace Chandler at PF. They could settle
their PG problem by giving the job to Jay Williams. And with Williams,
Walker, Rose and Eddy Curry, they'd be four-fifths of the way to a good
starting five. Boston would get their long-term point guard in Crawford and
a long, athletic, high-upside PF in Chandler. They fill the two spots you
have to fill with any Antoine trade. You'd have to build a little around the
edges (Eddie Robinson) to make the salary work, but doesn't this make sense
for everyone? I'm just dreaming, I know, but after nights like last night,
it's all I have...
--- end of quote ---

I wanted to respond in a similar fashion, but Mark beat me to the punch and
said it better than I could. The Celtics have reached their ceiling with
Walker, and it has little to do with the perceived unfair treatment from the
refs.  They showed a clip of him asnwering the question "why do you shoot so
many threes?" on TNT, and he pretty admitted that it's because he wants to be
thought of as a 'versatile' player and play a lot of minutes while minimizing
the wear and tear you get from banging in the low post. For the first time in
ages I had to agree with Marv Albert when they were discussing the Celtics'
penchant for threes. Either Van Gundy or Fratello offered that it was perhaps
Obie's idea, and Albert raised the possibility that perhaps Obie is doing it
because that's what Toine wants. Nahhh....

As for your trade idea, I'm not sure Crawford's ever going to be a great PG,
but Chandler might be good in a year or three. But you're right - they'll never
do it, unless the team implodes, the owners clean house and get a GM with some
balls AND brains.

My crazy idea a while ago was trading Toine and Baker for 'Sheed and
Stoudamire. I haven't checked if the salaries work, but they should be pretty
close and would work with some throw-ins. I guess it depends on how much the
Blazers want to get rid of Stoudamire and how fed up they are with Rasheed. I
know 'Sheed's crazy, but he's worlds more talented than Walker as PFs go. If
someone got him on the right meds, he'd be amazing. It's a perfect fit - Pierce
wants to be the top dog, Rasheed doesn't, but he's awfully good. It's very
risky, but IMO worth a try. We get rid of Baker for a guy with a similarly huge
contract, but one who can still play a little PG (pun sort of intended).
Kestas