Lineup

Boston went into the draft with three glaring needs:

a) point guard,
b) rebounder/post scorer/interior defender, and
c) third scorer/shooter.

Let's assume for the moment that Banks takes care of A
and at least part of C (though his long range shooting
isn't anything to shout about, he did average 20 ppg
last season and obviously knows how to put the ball in
the basket). Let's also assume that Perkins and Hunter
will have their moments trying to take care of B, but
neither is likely to get more than 10-12 mpg next
season, and that's only if Ainge puts a gun to
O'Brien's head.

So, do you go after additional free agents? And how do
you make the current pieces fit?

With Banks on board and Bremer returning, I'd be
surprised to see Boston bring back Kenny or another
veteran PG (Strickland?), at least until the young
guys start to struggle.

It's more likely they'll try to get a veteran banger,
though unless Ainge considers PJ Brown or Brad Miller
a $10 million player, I don't see a lot of big men out
there worth more than a minimum contract (Sean Rooks,
Scott Williams, et al.). I almost think they'd be
better off bringing back Blount, who has good size and
knows the system and players, and maybe Long as an
end-of-bench chemistry guy and tutor for the younguns.
Boston also clearly hopes to get some sort of
contribution from Baker, which would be a big plus if
it materializes.

So that leaves a wing man like Eric Piatkowski or Jon
"Boo Hiss" Barry. But again, I'm not sure how Ainge
and Obie could do that while planning to boost
Kedrick's minutes and use Delk as "a shooter off the
bench." That leads me to suspect we'll see Delk
playing more two-guard than point, and maybe Pierce
playing some three. (Delk and Banks make a small, but
long-armed and strong backcourt.) Assuming nobody's
willing to pay him more, I think you bring back
Walter; he's got good size, he can shoot the lights
out when the spirit moves him, he's versatile, and if
you're serious about having a running team, McCarty
can run all day. (Re-signing Walter also gives you the
flexibility to move Williams down the road if you get
a good deal.)

So, let's say you have this:

PG: Banks, Bremer, (Delk)
SG: Pierce, Delk, Kedrick
SF: Williams, (Pierce), (Kedrick)
PF: Walker, Baker, Hunter
C: Battie, Bruno, Perkins

That's 12 guys. Re-up Blount and Walter, leave the
15th spot open (or re-up Long in a ceremonial role),
and call it a day.

Thoughts on the above?