From: owner-celtics@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-celtics@xxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Kim Malo
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 9:25 PM
To: celtics@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: "Concerns about his work ethic"

At 11:38 PM 6/28/2003 -0400, Tammo29@xxxxxxx wrote:
>I've got an e-mail into a friend who lives in Dallas and is very active in
>AAU there to try to get the low down and I'll pass on whatever she (yes,
>she...and she's a coach) has to say.

Good, looking forward to hearing it.

>  In the meantime this article contradicts some
>of the things the Boston media have been writing.

Some, but at the same time:

>"If his passport were a different color, he would be a guy you'd keep
>overseas for a couple years and you'd have the luxury of holding onto his
>rights and not having to make a decision during training camp," Mavericks
>president of
>basketball operations Donnie Nelson said. "He's at least two years away."
>
>The Celtics certainly hope and expect Perkins to be ready sooner than that.

They may hope, but they *certainly* don't seem to expect it:

>Celtics get Banks, Perkins via Memphis
>By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 6/27/2003
>...But both Ainge and coach Jim O'Brien know he will be a project for the
>next
>three or more years.

With similar statements anyplace else it's been discussed, making it seem
the Dallas article is going out of its way to push a negative agenda about
the player. Talk of conditioning concerns with Perkins aren't news, of
course, but as another article pointed out, his high school team didn't go
undefeated because of the point guard, which means he has to be willing to
put out a bit more effort than this article seems willing to allow.
Kim