Re: Interesting...

On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 09:54  PM, Dan Forant wrote:

> Ainge just spoke, he's happy.
>
> DanF
> ****************
	He didn't look too happy.
	By now, you've all read the Boston Herald and realize that this was
Wallace and Pappile's pick. Danny made some lame reference to his son
having seen him play, out West.

Bulpet:
{Before Ainge came aboard as director of basketball operations, the
Celts had already identified Banks as their top point guard (ahead of
T.J. Ford, Luke Ridnour and Reece Gaines).

Once Ainge was on board with him, Papile and GM Chris Wallace told
Ainge how they'd gotten Kedrick Brown two years ago, and he agreed to
make the commitment.

With help from Wallace's connections at player rep firm SFX, Banks
pulled out of the audition process.}

	Tammo made some good points about getting locked into our picks before
seeing who was falling, and if not for all of the buzz from the agent
about the C's promise, Banks might not have risen so far; Danny thinks
different.

	Bulpett:
{``When we brought Marcus in for a workout early in the process, we
knew
right then and there that if he went and worked out for every team in
the NBA there was not a chance we would get him at 16,'' Ainge said.
``Not a chance.''}

On the other hand, Danny does have to please O'Brien and he got an NBA
ready body with some amazing defensive credentials, if we are to
believe the Sam Cassell saga.

Rebel-Net.com:
  {Sam Cassell called for a clear out and was isolated against Marcus
Banks. Try as he might, Cassell wasn't able to penetrate past the
college three point line.
And this was no fluke - it happened time and time again. The vociferous
Cassell
tried to use some veteran trash talk, but Banks was unaffected. Later,
the same isolation plan was used by Moochie Norris, but the results
were worse for the NBA squad as Banks forced two turnovers off Norris'
leg.

Banks was also able to penetrate at ease against Cassell and company.
He was
also dropping midrange and long jumpers from all over the court. Banks
was
clearly the best player on the court this day. The NBAer's may have
come out
for a little fun, but many of them were starting to get frustrated with
the
Rebels, especially with the losing battles against Marcus Banks. Banks'
headstrong ways clearly flustered the veterans.}

	Here is a four year college player Ainge's prerequisite; pushing the
ball up the floor and also with O'Brien's professed mantra of being a
strong defensive player. Jimmy will be hard pressed to not play him,
even if he can't spot up for the three.

	Did you catch O'Brien's 1st. attempt at selling this deal to his
captains? More shots for Paul and Antoine, because the kid will force
turnovers. LOL

	Murphy:
{``Defensively, one thing we hang our hats on is turning the other team
over,'' O'Brien said. ``He will make Antoine's and Paul's jobs easier
just by forcing more opportunities.''}

	I'm sure we will hear from Antoine and Paul, today, on how happy they
are to have this kid and how much easier it will make their jobs.
	Ainge may have made a tremendous political coup. By compromising a bit
and laying off the glory to Wallace and Papile, he may be able to hold
the ship together. It's not the bold move many of us were expecting,
but at the end of the day, he got his "Runnin' Rebel" and may have
closed ranks in the clubhouse.
	Kendrick Perkins may be a great player some day. He needs to get his
body in shape, he looks pudgy, which means that his success will depend
on how much effort an 18 year old millionaire is willing to put out.
Jermaine O'Neal, or Chris Washburn, or something in between? A gamble,
but they said they thought he was "coachable."
	Hunter may be a real find for us. Fortson with out the bad feet?
Trent, without the bad knees? A real powerhouse from the MAC, who lead
the nation in rebounds and double doubles and has had a few big scoring
nights. I don't care if he's 6'7". A rebounder will rebound. I give
Ainge credit for this one. We needed a rebounder and Songaila was not
going to give us this kid's effort under the glass.
	Even Eddie Andelman is happy this AM. He's the one who advised Danny
to "draft a big high school kid." Well, he got one, along with his push
it up point guard, that even O'Bie can love and the nation's leading
rebounder. Chad Ford be d***ed.

	JB

Unchain My Heart!