Picks/predictions

Assuming the Celtics don't trade up and that none of
the top prospects (eg Sweetney or Collison) drop, I'd
take Banks at 16. I don't think he's the point guard
of the future, but he should be an upgrade over
Bremer. If Banks is gone, I'd take either Hayes or
Pavlovic. None of the other PGs is worth a first-round
gamble, with the possible exception of Diaw.

At 20, you have to go big. Assuming Cook will be gone,
that leaves Sofoklis and West. I really worry about
Schortsy's girth; has a guy with that build EVER made
it in the NBA? I keep seeing John Williams, Oliver
Miller, Tractor Traylor ... More to the point, if
Sofoklis were an American high schooler instead of a
Greek import, would he be rated higher than James
Lang?

On the other hand, West may be too slight to replicate
his rebounding and post-scoring prowess in the pros.
He might never be a starter on a championship team,
but I could sure see him as a sixth or seventh man on
one - a Derek Strong type, say. This will be a tough
pick for Danny. Sofoklis has the greater upside but
could also flame out. Pachulia may be a dark horse
here, but I still think I'd lean toward West.

Another way to go, if Banks, Hayes & Pavlovic all are
gone by 16, would be to take a big man there - say,
Cook or West - and take Josh Howard or Diaw or maybe
Travis Hansen at 20. Howard has been overlooked in
this draft but will be a good pro if given PT - he was
a first team All American, for crying out loud.
Cook/West plus Howard wouldn't be flashy but could
help the Celtics plug some holes.

The second rounder won't add much if Boston can't move
up. Guys like Bell and Hansen will be gone. At 56, an
undersized big guy like Erwin Dudley or Brandon Hunter
makes sense. Somebody mentioned Ronald Dupree, who'd
be a fine choice. Another name from the SEC is point
guard Derrick Zimmerman, who the C's worked out.
(http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18486;
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=2906)

Danny might very well go with 6'10 Britton Johnsen in
the second round. But a guy I'd really like to see in
green is Miami's James Jones, if he falls that far
(unlikely). No mystery Euros, please - we just gave up
one of those to get this pick. I'd also give Chris
Mihm a look in the second round.

So, to recap: Banks, Hayes, Pavlovic or Collison if he
slips; then West, Sofo (maybe) or Howard as a bail-out
option. No Ridnours, Mo Williamses or Cabarkapas.
Planicic and Barbosa are intriguing but just seem like
too much of a long-term gamble.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow.