Re: Picks/predictions

At 05:42 PM 6/25/2003 -0700, Peter Delevett wrote:
At 20, you have to go big. Assuming Cook will be gone,
that leaves Sofoklis and West. I really worry about
Schortsy's girth; has a guy with that build EVER made
it in the NBA? I keep seeing John Williams, Oliver
Miller, Tractor Traylor ...

Some guy named Barkley played some pretty decent hoops. A bit shorter, but same sort of questions/overall build.

Danny might very well go with 6'10 Britton Johnsen in
the second round. But a guy I'd really like to see in
green is Miami's James Jones, if he falls that far
(unlikely).

They had him in for workouts. Post workout interview:
James Jones is a 6-8 forward out of the University of Miami. Jones is a four-year player for the Hurricanes who started 89 consecutive games over his final three seasons. He finished his collegiate career third on Miami's career list for blocked shots (192) and games played (122); 11th on UM's career scoring list with 1,356 points (11.1 average). He led his team in blocks (1.8) and rebounds (6.0), and ranked second in scoring (16.9) in 2002-03.

Celtics.com: Your thoughts and comments on your workout?

J. Jones: It went fair. It was a well-constructed workout set-up. It was really one of the best. This was the best organized and most precise workout I've been to thus far.

Celtics.com: Compared to other workouts, does this focus on one aspect or many parts of the game?

J. Jones: It's a little more concentrated on just playing, making decisions and making your shots. Your fundamental aspects of the game, like shooting, movement and running the floor. There is a lot of shooting, but that's what the league is missing right now.

Celtics.com: What do you think you can offer an NBA team?

J. Jones: I think my size, my athleticism, my shooting ability and my touch. I'm a little raw and uncut but I'm just dedicated and willing to work to get better. One of my desires is to truly get better.

Celtics.com: An similarities or differences between college and the pros?

J. Jones: It's more businesslike. I mean, you are looking for consistency and they are looking for hard work. But, above all that, it's just more professional - the best. There is no stone that is left unturned as far as your game goes. They examine you thoroughly and you just can't get by with athleticism. You have to have the total and complete package or you have to be exceptional at a good amount of things. On the pro level, it's really just high intensity, a high level of energy and consistency.

I like that last bit, as a sign that he 'gets it'

Kim