pre-draft thoughts

Obie -- all this stuff about why did Ainge rehire OB, i think is kinda moot. I mean the way it appears is Ainge said (with the extension) "If I get the talent you claim isn't there, show me you can coach it up and change the system" basically calling his bluff. If OB doesn't do it...he's gone. It's not like with, say, Vin Baker where you can't get rid of a coach. If I'm not mistaken OB's on for a million or 2 for now 2-3 more years. I'm sure if after this year he isn't changing Ainge can convince the new Owners to eat the few million to get a new coach in. Maybe former Ainge teamate Carlisle if he sits out this year. Ainge is in control here and everything he says seems to confirm that, OB can get on board or off but Ainge isn't going to sit idly by like Wallace did/had to.

Ainge is going to get players in here and I think the "burden of proof" is going to be on OB to show they can't play rather than on the GM to show they can.

I really liked Ainge's statement that if it means winning 44 instead of 47 games by playing rookies and younger (read: Kedrick) players in November and December, so be it. Ainge correctly understands -- probably b/c he's an ex-player -- that that Nov/Dec playing time means the youngun's are more ready come playoff time. It also means that PP and AW are more ready b/c they've haven't been run into the ground against the likes of Cleveland, Atlanta and Memphis.

If there was one thing that made me madder than anything last year was to watch a game that the C's were up 14-20 points in the 4th Q and still have ALL the starters out there. Argh. Why not give Kedrick some burn with PP or AW? Why not force the 2nd unit to hold a lead -- if they lose it use that as a learning experience. I still like OB's substitutions better than Pitino's idiot rotation, but that drives me nuts.

Picks -- It seems to me that its always easier to find a serviceable PG (see: Bremer, Smush Parker, KA in FA) than legit PF's and C's. So I'd be more comfortable with a reach at 16 or 20 to get a banger like Sofoklisces or Lang (who's my hope at 20). Of course I really believe that all things being equal you go for talent, even if its duplicative, because it allows you to move other parts as your new guys develop (see Richard Jefferson allowing NJ to trade KvH).

I was going to say who I hope to draft but who knows at this point -- tomorrow will be fun!

Based on nothing in particular I'd hope for:

16 - Hayes/Sweetney/Pavlovic

20 - Lang/Barbosa/Sofo