Boston Metro on Ainge & Draft

Boston Metro
http://www.boston-metro.com/page.php?pgname=sports_celtics0625

Danny Ainge would not tip his hand as to who the team is interested in
taking in tomorrows NBA Draft, but he said he does feel optimistic as
he prepares for his first draft as the Celtics head of basketball
operations.

I think that Im hopeful for it to go a certain way, Ainge told the
media at a press conference yesterday. I have a Plan A. Im hopeful
that Plan A works.

So now Im working on Plan B, C, D. E and F, he added. But based on
what my Plan A is, I believe that we will probably be able to be
successful in Plan B or C right now.

Boston holds the 16th and 20th overall selections, as well as the 56th
overall selection. Popular belief is that the Celtics are in the market
for a point guard and a power forward. Louisvilles Reece Gaines, UNLVs
Marcus Banks, Oregons Luke Ridenour and Boston Colleges Troy Bell are
all possibilities at the point guard spot. At power forward, Sofoklis
Schortsanitis of Greece, Illinois Brian Cook and Xaviers David West
have all been mentioned prominently as potential draftees.

However, Ainge refused to get into specifics yesterday. He did say the
team has had plenty of conversations when it comes to trading up or
trading down, and has taken the time to explore every opportunity. But
for the most part, he said the franchise has taken a very deliberate
approach when it comes to the draft.

Weve narrowed it down into categories based on need, Ainge said of
the pre-draft process. Weve narrowed it down to risk, and upside. And
position needs. I feel good about where we are today, and by Thursday,
well be very prepared and it will be a very simple process.

The Celtics have been rumored to be sniffing around several deals,
including one that would include sending Antoine Walker to Toronto for
the fourth overall pick. While he wouldnt mention any specifics  and
did say that nobodys untouchable  he did rip those rumors, blaming
the Internet for fueling such speculation.

Im surprised about all the things the garbage thats leaked out on the
Internet, when asked if anything has surprised him in the pre-draft
process. And [the media] have to call all the time asking about the
garbage.

Ainge then went a step further, calling out agents that flood the
Internet with rumors.

Agents are sending out a lot of misinformation on players, so you
really just have to be careful of whats real and whats not, he said.
Theres a lot of hype on players, especially players you havent had
the ability to see. And I think that there are people that take
advantage of that to hype their players.

Christopher Price