Insider stuff

Here's today's Insider rumor roundup. The one note of particular interest is
this on Marcus Banks:

"Marcus Banks
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18487>  may
be the hottest name in the draft, but a questionable background check may be
scaring off the Sonics at No. 14. It appears that if they keep the pick,
they'll take Luke Ridnour
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18434>  or
Reece Gaines. Banks probably won't slip past No. 17."

There's a lot of action from 10-16, so it's hard to tell what's going to
happen. Ford says T.J. Ford continues to slide, and may fall all the way to
the late lottery. I can't believe it. I'd love for the Celts to sneak in
somehow and snatch him up.

This draft could really get shaken up if the unexpected starts
happening-like Hinrich at 5 to Miami, Kaman at 6 to the Clippers, etc.

Mark

It's 2:13 a.m., and the phone rings with yet another GM who has a story to
tell.

"Are you up?" I am now.
"The Bulls are on the verge of a blockbuster. They're sending Donyell
Marshall <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=2627> ,
Marcus Fizer <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3403> ,
Eddie Robinson <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3387>
and the No. 7 pick to Dallas for Michael Finley
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3023> ."
Really?
Two hours earlier, the buzz had the Bulls sending Jalen Rose
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=2636>  to Minnesota
for Terrell Brandon
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=398>  and his
expiring contract.
A little before that came word that the Bulls weren't looking at a small
forward anymore, because they were confident they were going to lock up
Juwan Howard <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=2628>
in free agency.
It isn't easy to connect the dots that late at night, but follow me for a
second. Finley and Howard are Chicago natives, workout buddies in the
summer, and they've both dreamed of playing for the Bulls one day.
GM John Paxson's goal is to win now. He wants to end the youth movement and
begin surrounding Tyson Chandler
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3512> , Eddy Curry
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3514>  and Jamal
Crawford <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3407>  with
veterans.
He also needs to make sure he has enough cap space to re-sign those young
guys when their contracts start expiring next year. That's why shipping off
Rose makes a whole lot of sense.
By 2:30 a.m., with the dots loosely connected, John Paxson is looking like a
genius.
A starting lineup of Crawford, Finley, Howard, Chandler and Curry sounds
pretty appealing. So does the extra $10 million in cap space Chicago likely
will have next season after signing Crawford to an extension.
Not so fast.
In the world of the NBA draft, where subterfuge is the weapon of choice in
ensuring the guy you want remains on the draft board until you pick,
everything isn't always what it seems.
"I think that whole scenario is a product of 'Mark Cuban Productions,' " one
assistant GM told Insider. "I've seen it too many times. That's too perfect
for Dallas. They get two low post players and a young stud like [Mickael]
Pietrus at No. 7. Be careful."
Good advice. Remember, it was Cuban who just days earlier began fueling the
rumors of a sign-and-trade deal to bring Jason Kidd
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=2625>  to Dallas.
One more late phone call wakes up my best source with the Bulls. "I'm under
the impression we're not doing anything. Of course, that could change
tomorrow."
It probably will. The real trade talk begins today. With time running out,
offers become more serious, trade proposals more realistic and the pressure
to make something happen gets turned to high.
Trade Talk
*  I wasn't the only one hearing that the Bulls were on the trading warpath.
The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting a similar deal. According to that paper,
Paxson was the one making the phone call to Dallas.
Meanwhile Donnie Nelson told the Dallas Morning News that the Big Three --
Dirk Nowitzki <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3252> ,
Steve Nash <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3103>  and
Finley -- were basically untouchable.
"We're at a stage now where the Big Three or Big Four (Nowitzki, Finley,
Nash, Nick Van Exel
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=1308>  ) have
produced some pretty sweet music and some incredible results," Nelson said.
"To tamper with that would take a significant deal. If you're ever going to
break that up, it better be for a quantum leap. Otherwise, I think it would
be a mistake. I would say I wouldn't look for that to happen."
Make of that what you will.
*  No real news to report on the Sonics-Raptors talks. The deal sending
Vladimir Radmanovic
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3522> , Brent Barry
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3017>  and No. 12 to
Toronto for Jerome Williams
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3115> , Michael
Bradley <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3529>  and
the No. 4 is still on hold.
The Raptors are getting flooded with offers for the No. 4 pick and haven't
made any decisions. The Knicks, Mavs, Celtics, Blazers and Sonics are all
trying to get up to No. 4. So apparently are the Cavs.
The latest buzz has the Cavs offering Ricky Davis
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3264>  and Chris Mihm
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3406>  for Hakeem
Olajuwon and the No. 4 pick. However the Raps won't give their No. 4 away
unless someone takes one of their bad contracts (read: Jerome Williams) off
their hands. Still, that wouldn't be a bad deal for the Cavs. Put LeBron
James <http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18425>
, Darius Miles <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3402>
, Chris Bosh
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18511>  and
Dajuan Wagner <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3604>
on the floor, and the Cavs just might have something.
*  The Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting rumblings out of Detroit that the
Pistons will trade point guard Chucky Atkins
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3391> , forward
Tayshaun Prince <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3621>
and center/forward Mehmet Okur
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3547>  for the Cavs'
Ricky Davis.
Davis certainly would help the Pistons' scoring problems. But would Joe
Dumars really do this deal? Losing Atkins isn't an issue, but he loves
Prince, and Okur looks like he could turn into a major force down low. Of
course, with the coming of Darko, maybe Okur is expendable.
It should be noted that both of these reports fly in the face of recent
rumblings that Davis is off the block in Cleveland.
*  The Nuggets are tying to pick up a second first-round pick. With Carmelo
Anthony
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18433>  the
likely pick at No. 3, word is that the team is trying to package Rodney
White <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3519>  and
Marcus Camby <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3084>
for a player and a mid first-round pick.
"The question is, how much of our cap room we're really ready to give up,"
one Nuggets source told Insider. "But there are several guys we like around
there."
*  Speaking of the Nuggets, their chances of landing Gilbert Arenas
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3540>  may have taken
a hit. Insider reported Monday the Warriors were fliriting with picking
Ndudi Ebi
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18424> , a
raw high school power forward, with the 11th pick.
We'll pause why you all say, "Huh?" Well, Skip Bayless of the San Jose
Mercury News might have just filled in the blanks.
Ebi and Arenas are represented by the same agent, Dan Fegan. Could Fegan
arrange to have Arenas sign for less in Golden State now if the Warriors
promise to give Ebi some love at 11 and max-out Arenas in a new deal in two
years?
It might not have to be 11, either. There's talk the Hawks and Warriors are
talking about a swap that would send the No. 11 to the Hawks for the No. 21
and a future first-round pick. The Hawks would then select Louisville's
Reece Gaines
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18451>  at
11, and the Warriors would take Ebi at 21.
Fegan has a history with the Warriors. He also represents Jason Richardson
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3515>  and Troy
Murphy <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3524> . But is
he that powerful?
Arenas likely would be turning down at least $3 million a year over the next
two years to re-sign with the Warriors rather than seek his fortune with the
Nuggets. The most the Warriors can offer is the mid-level exception, which
is supposed to start at around $4.9 million next year. The Nuggets likely
would offer a deal starting at around $8 million a year. Because Arenas is a
restricted free agent, to re-sign with his team it has to be at least a
three-year deal with a player opt-out after year two.
That's a big risk. Injuries, a bad season or two and the possibility of the
NBA finding out about the under the table agreement could come back to haunt
Arenas and the Warriors. Just ask Joe Smith
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3003>  and the
T-Wolves. And while Fegan and the Warriors would never be stupid enough to
actually put something in writing, that could mean trouble down the road.
Just ask Rashard Lewis
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3275> , who felt the
Sonics reneged on a max-out promise two seasons ago.
But the Warriors would be loathe to screw Fegan, considering he represents
so many of their players. I'm not sure how realistic the scenario is, but it
certainly makes sense at one level.
Stock Watch
*  Ndudi Ebi isn't the only one being mentioned as a surprise Warriors' pick
on draft night. Two sources told Insider the team was also seriously looking
at Yugoslavian forward Zarko Cabarkapa
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18463>  at
No. 11.
The Warriors have been calling sources in Yugoslavia trying to do background
checks on him. He has not worked out for the team.
*  Texas point guard T.J. Ford
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18444>
continues to slide on many draft boards. Several teams told Insider they're
concerned about his back. According to the teams, he has a condition called
spinal stenosis. While the condition is not career threatening, it could
require surgery, which could cut into the summer league or training camp.
Combine that with his size (just a hair over 6-feet) and his weak perimeter
shot, and it may be enough to push Ford down into the late lottery.
*  Central Michigan center Chris Kaman
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18447>
snuck into L.A. for a second workout with the Clippers on Sunday. He
reportedly put on a much better performance than in his first one. How good?
With the Clips sure they're losing Michael Olowokandi
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3244>  this
offseason, Kaman might have moved back to the top of their draft board.
*  Are the Bucks still drafting a point guard? Over the last 24 hours a
rumor has spread through the league that they now feel they'll be able to
get Gary Payton <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=259>
re-signed. That's not a shocker from Payton's end. The free-agent market
will be tough. But would the Bucks really re-sign him? With the team up for
sale, are they really going to start signing guys to big multi-year deals?
If they do feel comfortable on Payton, the Bucks could go big and take
someone like Kaman, Maciej Lampe
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18461>  or
Nick Collison
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18443>  if
they're still on the board at No. 8.
I think it's smoke. It's hard to believe they'll pass on Hinrich or Ford.
*  Marcus Banks
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18487>  may
be the hottest name in the draft, but a questionable background check may be
scaring off the Sonics at No. 14. It appears that if they keep the pick,
they'll take Luke Ridnour
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18434>  or
Reece Gaines. Banks probably won't slip past No. 17.
*  The Suns have narrowed their list down to Zarko Cabarkapa, Brian Cook
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18450>  and
Luke Ridnour.
*  Weird rumor of the day. Are the Hornets flirting with Senegal's Malick
Badiane
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/player?playerId=18565>  at
No. 18. While everyone loves his pro body and athleticism, he's a pretty big
project. How long can New Orleans wait?