Re: [Celtics' Stuff Fwd: NBA Mock Draft III

On Saturday, June 21, 2003, at 09:22  AM, Eggcentric@xxxxxxx wrote:

> < He (Barbosa) appears to have the talent of an 11 pick, but everyone
> is  writing him off for ridiculous reasons. > - JB
>
> JB - Just about every pick in this draft, whether it be at #15 or #35,
> is seen to have future upside potential.  Pick your poison and hope
> for the best.  Barbosa is at least three years away... if ever.  What
> is
> our particular advantage in drafting someone like that?  Would you
> not at least prefer someone only two years away?
>
> Egg
> ************************
	I really love his smile.
http://nbadraft.net/profiles/leandrobarbosa.htm
	If you haven't seen it take a look. Stats are there also.
	For a more objective analysis; he's got size, athleticism, a great
handle and he improved last season, from
15.8 points to 28.2 and assists from 6.4 to 7.
	I love a kid who improves like that, who's game has started to show
and takes it to a superstar level.
	Of course, never having seen him play, it's just a hunch (you remember
my similar praise for Pepe Sanchez), but my "feeling" is that while the
other top point guards in the draft could all be good players, this kid
has the size, spirit and skills, to be a star.
	I can wait, as the Celtics will need about three years to get rid of
salaries and develop a team, in Ainge's image, that can run and pass
and play defense, with the athleticism and savvy to be championship
contenders.
	In the meantime; Kenny Anderson, Travis Best, or Jacques Vaughn, "the
usual suspects," can run the team at a much higher level than last
season and groom the "point guard of the future."
	Here's the best scouting report I've found.

NBA Comparison: Gilbert Arenas

Strengths: Excellent athlete blessed with great leaping ability and
quickness          ... A tremendous ball handler able to take most
defenders off the dribble          ... Creative finisher when he drives
in the lane as he can adjust his          shot according to how the
defense reacts ... For his size he is an explosively          quick
player ... Barbosas quickness becomes evident when he pushes the
    ball to ignite the fast break ... Defensively he has the long
wingspan          and quick hands needed to disrupt passing lanes ...
Understands how to          create contact on his drives to enable free
throw opportunities ... Makes          excellent use of the glass when
shooting the leaning jumper 16 feet from          the basket ... Owns
cat like body control to get off acrobatic lay-ups          ... Shows
solid lateral quickness to stay in front of most opposing players
    ... Great leaper who combined with his long arms can block smaller
guards          shots ... Shows above average court vision to recognize
open teammates          on the floor ... Quick first step enable him to
gain good separation from          his defender ... A capable 3-point
shooter when his feet are set ... Solid          rebounder thanks to
his long arms and leaping ability ...

Weaknesses: Will need to bulk and gain more upper body strength ...
Really          needs to focus on refining his shooting mechanics ...
As of now he doesn't          keep his shooting elbow tight and his
release is funny ... Due to his          aggressive nature he has a
tendency to get out of control when slashing          to the basket ...
Not a great shooter from behind the three point line          off the
dribble due to his slow release ... Mid range shooting is still
  a work in progress ... Still developing his point guard skills such as
          controlling tempo and decision making ... Needs to continue to
improve          on getting his teammates consistently involved in the
offense ... Forces          too many passes that are not there due to
his lack of patience ... Tends          to pick-up quick fouls as he
has a bad habit of being overly aggressive          with his man ...

-Matthew          Maurer

Uultra-agressive point guard, attacks the basket all time to score or
        pass. Has an excellent combination of size and quickness and
uses both          very well to penetrate the basket (a tremendous
first step and long arms).          Has a decent 3-pt shot. Intense
player, plays hard every night, excellent          attitude wanting the
ball in clutch time and great composure under pressure.          Has
great numbers on defense too (steals and rebounds). With his size
    can defend anyone at his position. Has a good level of international
experience          (in Brazil) for a guy his age. Was a teammate of
Nene and Anderson in          U-21 competitions and has been a member
of the Brazilian National team          for two years. He leads his
team (actual Brazilian champion) in points,          assists, steals
and minutes per game.

Weaknesses: Should improve his perimeter and long distance shots. Needs
          more patience and maturity to lead his team on the court.
Needs to make          better decisions between score or pass. Must
gain some weight.

-Vinicius Fontana