Walker's game to get seasoning in summer

Walker's game to get seasoning in summer

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 6/8/2003

HICAGO -- Technically, summer vacation ends tomorrow for Antoine Walker. He
will sit down with personal trainer Tim Grover and devise an offseason
conditioning program. He will begin weightlifting again. He will hit the court
and practice shooting, particularly free throws. He will hear a lecture about
the importance of a better diet. He will set a plan for losing weight and
lowering his percentage of body fat. He will work toward strengthening his
legs, particularly his injured and oft-abused knees.

To be sure, there will still be early-morning golf outings and late nights.
Walker does have a charity golf tournament scheduled for mid-July at Mohegan
Sun. But Grover expects the weekdays to be largely devoted to strength and
conditioning work. A few weeks from now, Walker will start playing pickup
games at Hoops the Gym. In general, it sounds a lot like the last couple of
summers under Grover.

But there is one glaring difference. Walker wants to sign a four-year contract
extension with the Celtics this summer. He wants to remain with Boston for the
remainder of his career. The extension and the strength and conditioning
routine are unavoidably linked. The prospect of one motivates the other,
though a somewhat slimmer and certainly refreshed Walker said his commitment
to the team will not change, regardless of whether he gets the extension.

''It's major,'' said Walker. ''It's like they gave [coach Jim] O'Brien. It's
just the reassurance I'm going to be in Boston.

''I don't have the slightest idea if it's going to happen. It would be
disturbing if I didn't get it. Right now, it's too early to say.'' Walker has
two years remaining on his contract, with the option to become a free agent
after next season, though he won't give up the $14.6 million owed him for
2004-05. But in all likelihood, if the Celtics do not offer Walker an
extension, his run in Boston will end after that season. When director of
basketball operations Danny Ainge was asked about extending Walker, he
offered, ''No comment.''''It's not going to affect me and affect my work ethic
and affect me coming in mentally prepared to get back to the playoffs and try
to get [title] No. 17,'' said Walker. ''It's not going to affect that at all.
It's just a reassurance the team believes in me and that they want me to be
around for a long time.'' If the Celtics are looking for a show of good faith
from Walker, they should find it at Hoops the Gym. While Walker wants a
commitment in years from the Celtics, Ainge wants a commitment to conditioning
from all players. It's essential for a team that plans to run more next
season.

Conditioning remains an area where Walker knows he can improve, and Grover
expects this to be Walker's most productive summer to date.

There are three reasons for such confidence. First, the Celtics' second-round
exit from the playoffs, which included disappointing performances from Walker
when he matched up against the Nets' Kenyon Martin. Second, a more mature
Walker, willing to make lifestyle changes after two consecutive playoff trips
and All-Star Game appearances. Third, the desire for an extension.

''I think he'll be extremely receptive this year,'' said Grover, who is
best-known as Michael Jordan's personal trainer. ''I have my speech already
all outlined for Antoine once I sit him down: Harold's Chicken, J&J Fish,
Doc's, everything he likes to eat. Of course, he likes to eat late. He's a
late eater and that's something we're going to have to discuss.

''We want him to change the way he eats his calories -- more protein later at
night, more carbohydrates during the day. We'll talk about all that.
Hopefully, he'll stick with the regimen. I don't know what his ideal weight
would be, but my guess is 235-240 maximum.''

With less body fat percentage and weight, there will be visible and
statistical benefits.

''As you decrease his body fat percentage, his explosiveness will increase
back,'' said Grover. ''As we strengthen up his legs, the discomfort he has in
his knees should go away.

''His game is being able to move. If he can't move, he's not as effective. His
ballhandling skills are tremendous, but if he doesn't have that step to go
around somebody, it doesn't matter how good your ballhandling skills are.

''He wasn't getting lift on his shots. As you saw, his rebounds have been
dropping each year. We want to get all that back up. We want to get him back
to a 20-[point], 10-[rebound] guy and increase his shooting percentage.''

In addition to posting a career-low field goal percentage last season (38.8),
Walker also had difficulty with free throws. He dropped to 61.5 percent from
the line after hitting a career-high 74.1 percent in the 2001-02 season.

This summer, Walker will devote time to developing a comfortable routine from
the line. In addition to simply shooting a lot of free throws, Walker will
work with Grover to develop better focus.

''I'm going to get my touch back from the foul line,'' said Walker. ''I was
upset that I didn't shoot foul shots well this season. I want to make sure I
get that back. I change routines too much. I've got to get back to one routine
that I like and enjoy.''

Grover will consult with O'Brien and Ainge about other points of emphasis for
Walker's summer training program based on how the Celtics plan to play next
season. Since the Celtics are in a tough financial position with respect to
the salary cap and luxury tax, Walker knows much of the team's prospects for
success depend on how well the current players prepare themselves individually
for next season. ''Hopefully, I can continue on the same pace,'' said Walker.
''I've had two very good seasons, two good individual seasons, and was able to
make the All-Star team twice with Tim Grover. So, I'm looking forward to a
third summer with him.

''I've got to improve myself. I'm 26 now and I know the game real well. I just
want to constantly improve. I want to continue to be at the peak of my
profession -- that's being in All-Star Games and competing in the playoffs.''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of C.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of PSG.gif]