Re: Contrasting Info On Banks

Color me relieved. If they draft Marcus Banks, that's fine. I just have a
problem with making a guarantee to a guy this early in the process. You
never know what might happen, what you might see in workouts, etc. I believe
the Celtics like Marcus Banks. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they take
him at No. 20. And that's fine-even if it's higher than he's projected to
go. The problem is in making a promise. The only way you win with that
arrangement is if you really are smarter than everyone else-and that's a
dangerous assumption for anyone to make.

I guess everyone read the two stories in the Herald this morning. Ainge
talked about all the roster and draft options. Said they may use both picks,
but may not. They may trade up, down or out. He's not ruling anything out.
Very insightful. The writer seemed to indicate a preference to only add one
three-year guaranteed contract, and suggested they may like to draft an
international player and let him mature overseas for a season or two (which
is fine), but I've come to the conclusion that most of the writers covering
the Celtics just talk out their rear end without much substance to back it
up. Marcus Banks' name wasn't mentioned, so it's not as if the writer has
his fingers on the pulse of the team. Ainge also said he wouldn't think
about a new contract for Walter until all the other roster questions were
settled, and wouldn't consider an extension for EWill anytime soon, although
he said the predictable nice things about EWill. Of course, the writer
didn't mention that Ainge would be nuts to give EWill an extension, because
that would negate his trade value completely, should Ainge decide to dangle
EWill's expiring contract. What I wouldn't give for a competent Sam Smith
type to cover the Celtics.

In the other article, trainer Tim Grover talks about his intentions to whip
Antoine into shape, get his explosiveness back, blah, blah, blah... Does
anyone else think this Grover guy is the Niednagel of personal trainers?
Suddenly he's some sort of all-powerful guru, just because Michael Jordan
used him as his personal trainer? Please. I guess he's going to completely
change Antoine's lifestyle and turn him into a young Scottie Pippen. Sure.

Speaking of Antoine, I caught just the tail end of an interview with him on
Fox Sports Radio yesterday afternoon. He said he'd take a paycut to bring
Andre Miller to Boston. Too bad he really can't do that. I thought that was
at least interesting, since there has been speculation that Miller and
Pierce don't get along. He also said he thought Vin got a screwed by the
Celts, but he hasn't talked to Vin since he was suspended.

Mark