Restricted free agents/Salary Cap

I thought I "reasonably" had a handle on the salary cap rules.  But, this
restricted free agent thing with Arenas at Golden State has me stumped.  I
thought any team could go over the cap to sign their own free agents.  BUT, I
have read several places that Golden State couldn't resign Arenas even if they
wanted to because they were over the cap and could offer only their mid level
exception.  Why couldn't they match the Wizards offer if they wanted even if
they went over the cap?   Josh, Ray, Snoop, anyone have an answer for me?

Also, regarding the Jones trade, I really like it!  But, I read a couple of
places where we also sent a 2nd round pick but ESPN, CBS, did not mention the
pick.  Did we or didn't we??   Thanks, Troy