Re: Restricted free agents/Salary Cap

At 10:44 PM 7/29/2003 -0400, Troy Hash wrote:
I thought I "reasonably" had a handle on the salary cap rules.  But, this
restricted free agent thing with Arenas at Golden State has me stumped.  I
thought any team could go over the cap to sign their own free agents.

Only certain of them.

 BUT, I
have read several places that Golden State couldn't resign Arenas even if they
wanted to because they were over the cap and could offer only their mid level
exception.  Why couldn't they match the Wizards offer if they wanted even if
they went over the cap?   Josh, Ray, Snoop, anyone have an answer for me?

He's only been in the league 2 years. Bird rights, which are what you're referring to above aren't in effect until after 3 years. They let you pay him anything up to the max salary. While early Bird Rights, which he is eligible for, since they apply after 2 years, would limit them to paying him 175% of his salary the previous season or the average player salary.

Also, regarding the Jones trade, I really like it!  But, I read a couple of
places where we also sent a 2nd round pick but ESPN, CBS, did not mention the
pick.  Did we or didn't we??   Thanks, Troy

Snoopy just posted that it was a conditional one.

Kim