RE: Jumaine Jones

At 05:14 PM 7/29/03 -0400, Kestutis Kveraga wrote:
>I guess I was just increduluous that DA said that to someone he didn't
>know. If
>he did, was it spontaneous? Calculated? Is he trying to put pressure on
>ObieWalker through quips like that? He must know that whatever he says to
>a fan
>will likely become public knowledge, no?

Even today, not every fan has the instant internet recognition and respect
of our beloved JB (and right now, there's a few comics fans bemoaning the
apocalypse having read that sentence :>))))  )

>As to why he extended Obie's contract...was it the owners' wish? The
>likelihood
>of player rebellion if Obie wasn't re-signed that Peter May alluded to a few
>months ago? If it's the latter, who cares if Walker, EWill or Waltuh pout? DA
>has made it clear with his actions that, as far as he's concerned, they're all
>very expendable. The McCarty signing was obviously a bone to Obie, although,
>again, I'm not sure why DA needs to appease Obie - isn't he Obie's boss?

This may hearken back to the olden days of Red and Walter Brown.  Red was
excoriated for not taking Bob Cousy with the territorial pick, when he
asked if he was here to "win ball games or impress the local yokels".  Red
is a firm believer that the owner's job is basically to sign the checks and
brag about how well the team is doing.  The Coach is the one really in
charge.  It worked well because Brown admitted he knew zip about the
game.  The current ownership team, while they probably are much more
knowledgeable than the late Walter Brown, are essentially in the same boat
compared to lifelong professionals like Ainge, Obie and of course, Red himself.

I know many people here sincerely wish Obie were coaching somewhere else,
but I reiterate that he needs a fair chance.  I think it's not a matter of
convincing him the running game is good, since Obie has previously stated
he wants to run more, too.  I think it's more trying to convince him that
THIS TEAM can run successfully with the personnel moves Ainge has
brokered.  Probably the same for Walker.  It's a matter of showing that it
will work on THIS team.  Wait and see what happens before running the Coach
out of town, please.

>Walker's trade value may be low now, but it will increase inversely with the
>length of his remaining contract - regardless of his play. Same for EWill.
>These days a fat expiring contract is worth more than any but the best
>players.
>So, does anyone have any idea why DA is pleading and negotiating with, and
>hoping to convince Obie?  Does he believe that "if you can change, and I can
>change", then maybe Obie (and Walker) can change? Does he not have the mandate
>from the ownership to tell Obie to do what he's told or hit the road?

See above.  I think everyone is trying to work together.  Remember, Obie
made it work for two years DESPITE the ownership.  He's probably more
anxious than any of us not to see it all go to waste.

>Lots of questions. I hope someone has some answers.
>Kestas

The answer is four, almost five.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle