Re: Ainge - I think he does have a plan.

At 01:09 AM 7/27/2003 -0400, GuyClinch@xxxxxxx wrote:
He certainly has a plan. He wants to turn the Celtics into a fast breaking
team modeled after Phoenix and the Nets. Makes sense considering on how Phoenix
played and his experience with JKidd. Banks is the first step in that. Kedrick
fits in with that plan as well. I think it's a great plan because it fits
with our personel, and the fans will love it.

I was somewhat boggled by the insistance that he didn't have a plan, myself. The moves may not all work out or you may not agree with them. But after a couple of years of management by committee muddle on top of Pitino's management by personal agenda, the one thing I've thought was crystal clear was that we DO have someone in charge with a plan. With some demonstrated some ability to implement it, starting with the Banks draft maneuvers. That wasn't Pierce falling into our laps by luck. While any good plan has multiple options and planned fallbacks if a primary target falls through, so you aren't left like Pitino, with nothing to do but whine about not getting Tim Duncan. Maybe the number of names and rumors floating around and things like turning elsewhere when Best was insisting on more money than we could offer is confusing the issue for some people.

Anyway, back to the draft and things like the subsequent signing of Hunter - not only did he clearly focus in on our biggest needs -PG, rebounding, long term solution at center especially if Tony continues to get injured. But those are also key holes to fill with his avowed plan --as Pete points out- that we are going to run more. We've got people who can fill the other roles on the wing and as trailer, at least to some degree. But to be most effective a running game needs a PG who can get out there, control of the defensive boards to set it off, and some control of the defensive middle to force outside shots with long rebounds. That's straight out of Red's book and lord knows we should know well enough how helpful those long rebounds can be to the other team.

Like I said, you may not agree with aspects of his plan or about particular players/moves - I wish we had let Walter walk, although I can understand the value of his bargain priced flexibility when you have roster constraints. And he warned up front that this was going to be a process, not a one year miracle, which may also have people tearing their hair out. But I don't see how you can see him as having no plan.

Kim