the game...

<C's turn attention from rooks to vets

by Mark Murphy
Monday, July 21, 2003

By now you know about Marcus Banks, and want to know more about Brandon
Hunter.

Somebody's Got
To Say It
The Herald's fearless news coverage consistently gives readers the story
behind the story.
Get Home Delivery
Access Columnists
Subscribe to eEdition

Celtics rookie Kendrick Perkins sprained his right foot one game into the
Reebok Pro Summer League, which ended yesterday, but that figures to be healed by
the start of training camp on Sept. 29.

And Danny Ainge's worries have just begun. Forget, for a moment, about the
excitement of draft night, or the entertainment that comes with a free agent
summer league, or the fact that everyone seems to love the way Hunter plays
basketball.

``He's the talk of the league,'' one NBA scout said of the rookie power
forward.

But enough already. Ainge is already looking ahead to the next stop.

``My priority - the priority of our basketball staff - is that the biggest
way for this team to improve is for Paul (Pierce), Antoine (Walker) and Vin
(Baker) to improve,'' the Celtics' director of basketball operations said
following the Celtics' 82-67 loss to the Nets in their summer league finale.

``I know that Paul and Antoine did not have as good a year as they are
capable of,'' said Ainge. ``And none of these things now are as important as
creating an environment that helps these guys get better.''

Ainge said that his reports on Baker, who has worked out with NBA players in
Miami and Chicago, continue to follow a positive track, with a Celtics
representative monitoring Baker's progress.

Celtics coach Jim O'Brien plans to visit Baker soon to further assess the
situation.

Indeed, outreach appears to be the next major step for Ainge and the rest of
the basketball staff.

``Now that summer league is over, between myself and the coaching staff, over
the next six weeks we are going to make personal visits with each of our
players,'' said Ainge.

And as for who the Celtics choose to bring into camp, much may depend on
further negotiations beyond Banks and Perkins, who have already signed contracts.

Hunter, a 6-foot-7 forward taken in the second round of the draft out of Ohio
University, remains unsigned.

``I like what I saw this week in (Kedrick) Brown and Hunter,'' said Ainge.
``We like Brandon, and with what we have now, he would be the 14th guy. I liked
what I saw, but summer league is a whole different world from NBA ball.''

Though he didn't refer to Hunter specifically when he said it, Ainge was
clearly bracing for a fresh round of negotiations.

Hunter is reportedly seeking a contract worth $300,000 for his rookie year.

``I know who I want, but getting who I want will be the challenge,'' said
Ainge, who is also intrigued by a number of free agents on other summer league
teams. ``So far I've seen just about every summer team in the league play. I've
got five or six different things that I could do right now - just a lot of
different things that could happen.

``And I have a feeling that I'll be thinking along these lines for quite some
time.''