Mark Berry wrote:

> 1. On Banks... Very happy with him. Has had a great camp. Believes Banks
> will hit that mid-range jumper out to the college three-point line. Needs to
> take care of the ball, but doesn't want to be too hard on the kid for that
> because he's young. Wants him to maintain his aggressiveness, and he will
> learn to take care of the ball (this was the best thing he said, in my
> opinion-I couldn't agree more).

Of course, the flip side of this is Coach "3-to-1 assist to
turnover" Obie...

> 2. On Hunter... Can't remember exactly what he said, but it struck me as
> lukewarm. I was surprised, because Hunter was playing so well-of course, my
> assumption is they've already decided he won't make the roster and Ainge is
> going out of his way not to build the guy up. He did say that he believed
> Hunter was outplaying Sweetney, which he was.

What makes this really dissappointing (if true) is the recent luxury tax
revelations.  I can understand the rationale for not using the mid level
exception this year.  But, given the increase in the luxury tax
threshhold, there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for any of the following:

	1) Keeping non contributors like Sundov on the team.

	2) Not giving a guy like Hunter a shot.

	3) Trying to skimp thru the season with a 12 or 13 man roster.

If nothing else, there is no reason for them not to cut Sundov and sign
Hunter plus a few cheapo rookie practice bodies like the guys from camp
last year.

> BUT... I do think Hunter deserves to make this team, and will be extremely
> frustrated if they won't spring for the meager salary it would take to keep
> him. Go ahead and multiply it by four if you want (the fuzzy math of the
> luxury tax)...

I think the real problem with the luxury tax is that all of the teams
beneath the tax get to split the payments of all of the teams over the
tax.  So, the C's owners get a big fat check if they don't exceed the tax;
but nada if they do, even by a little bit.

> On the other hand, one of the reasons I still don't trust the Kedrick
> performance from last night is the fact that he was the featured performer.
> Things were designed to go to him and they kept going to him over and over.
> That will never happen in the regular season (even if it should). Obie just
> doesn't do that. Everyone has to play off of Antoine and Pierce. So he'll
> have Kedrick stationed in the corner waiting for kickouts again, and I'll
> choke myself to death with the lamp cord. I'd love to believe the offense
> will be more free-flowing, with Banks initiating things and other players
> being featured in roles that best suit them, but I know Obie too well at
> this point. He'll choke the life out of them. That's what he does.
> Eventually, he'll go to Delk and Bremer in the backcourt because they can
> hit the kickout shots better than Banks and Kedrick. Walter will take
> Hunter's roster spot.

If that happens, Ainge may borrow your lamp cord for use on Obie.  Ainge
has coached in the past; maybe HE'LL be the one who succeeds Obie at some
point.

Also, if what you describe comes to pass, there will be MAJOR tension
between Banks and Obie, and Banks and Walker.  Banks seems like one cocky
dude who wants the damned ball.

Michael