From: owner-celtics@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-celtics@xxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
markp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 8:36 PM
To: Celtics@xxxxxxxx
Subject: re: Real GM moves

>Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:14:29 -0700
>From: "John Lyell" <jlyell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Real GM moves
>
>Some Real GM Trades accepted within the salary cap rules

As I was reading through your ideas John, I realized that I'm
actually much more wary to trade Battie for some reason, than Walker.
Not because he's a better player -- since he's not by a long shot.
But maybe it's because he fills such a significant role on the team
defensive scheme that I think would be really hard to replace.

There are a host of players who I think could replace the things (or
some of the things) Walker brings -- Like Rahim or Wallace -- such as
scoring and rebounding.  It's like someone said the other day about
Kedrick playing instead of EWill, what do you lose?  Yeah Rahim might
not be as good a passer as Antoine, but he's a more efficient
offensive player.  So what you lose points-wise from AW's passes, you
"gain" with Rahim's fewer TO's and higher FG%.

I guess there are 2 reasons I'd be willing to trade Antoine.  (1) I
see him as our lone asset to add talent -- i.e through a 1-for-2
trade and added cap flexibility. (2) As Mark B. said so succinctly,
I'm game for anything but the status quo (though I like Michael's
take on Ainge's strategy vis-a-vis flexibility):

>I could accept a step back next season if it meant
>long-term improvement (dumping Baker with Antoine; an Antoine trade for a
>younger player who isn't quite ready, clearing cap room, etc.). I could
>accept "going for it" this offseason and using the mid-level exception and
>trading to fill spots with veterans. The one thing that's tough to accept
is
>status quo.

I would add taking a chance on a lateral move -- like Walker for
Rahim -- that might look even to slightly worse for the C's on paper,
on the chance that Rahim's skill set meshes with the core of
Pierce/Banks/Battie better than Walkers.  Saying that doesn't mean
Rahim is a better player than Walker, but that he might be better for
OUR team.

>Walker & Battie for Rahim & Mohammed

If this were Walker for Rahim, I'd go for it, but if we did this
version, Mohammed is our starting Center and that makes me nervous.

>Walker and Williams for Rasheed Wallace  & Zach Randolph

I would do this in a heartbeat -- mostly b/c Zach becomes your PF of
the future, and Sheed is a FA next summer (at more $$ than Walker I
think).  I don't think Portland would do this though -- I think NAsh
said Randolph and Qyentel Woods are the 2 untouchables.

>Battie, Williams and Bremer for Foyle, Sura and Pietrus

After watching Banks tonight i'm much more willing to trade Bremer
(and think we might at the deadline; though I like his hustle and
grit), but what does this get us?  Battie for Foyle is a loser for
us, I'd rather have Ewill than Sura and Pietrus is a complete
unknown.  And I think this gives us less flexibility.

I do think Golden St. might be interested in Bremer if Arenas leaves.
Wonder what else might work.

>Battie & Delk for Swift & Battier (Rumors of Memphis going after Pippen)

I would do this -- mostly for the gamble that it turns out to work.
I see Swift as the same type player as Battie -- an athletic PF who
could play Center.  Plus Battier is a great role player.  I don't
think Memphis would do this though -- even if they add Pippen.  I
would guess they could get much more for Battier, plus why get rid of
him?  Let him learn from Pip.

>Walker & battie for Jalen Rose & Tyson Chandler

Chicago would never do this -- and I'm not sure I would either.
Chandler really isn't a Center, but suppose he could play there.  I
don't think Rose and Pierce could co-exist.  That is one great thing
(among many) about Walker -- he has no problem letting Pierce have
the spotlight.

Thanks for coming up with these -- debating trades and draft
scenarios and FA signings is one of my favorite summertime activities.

(the other) Mark