Knicks looking at Ratliff - NYPost

<RATLIFF MIGHT BE ANSWER TO KNICK PRAYERS

By MARC BERMAN
--

 INSIDE MOVE:
Theo Ratliff, making move against Lakers' Samaki Walker last season, might be

July 17, 2003 -- BOSTON - The Knicks can't use the excuse that the salary cap
prevented them from signing Michael Olowokandi yesterday. The 7-foot center
yesterday accepted Minnesota's $4.9 million mid-level exception in a three-year
deal.
So now the center-starved Knicks move on and, with the free-agent center
market running dry, they have talked to the Hawks about a deal involving
shot-blocking 6-10 center Theo Ratliff, sources said.

"We need a big, dominating guy who can post up," said Don Chaney. "We need an
intimidator inside."

Problem is, the Hawks have been in freeze mode as they await ownership
change. But the sale is close to being finalized this week and that could accelerate
trade talks, the Knicks hope.

Knicks GM Scott Layden pursued Ratliff two years ago in discussions with
former Hawks GM Pete Babcock. Ratliff seems over his injury bug, playing 81 games
last season, averaging 8.7 points, 7.5 rebounds and 3.23 blocked shots. He has
two years and $21 million left on his contract.

One second-tier center available is 35-year-old Elden Campbell and the Knicks
have some interest. "He could still play and he still has size," Chaney said.

According to sources, the Knicks got cold feet with Olowokandi. They had
reservations about Olowokandi's character and invited him to Westchester for a
recruiting visit. But Olowokandi turned down the visit - even after Chaney
reached out to him the past few days. Kandi Man clearly wanted no part of the Big
Apple.

"This is a place players still want to go," said Garden president Steve
Mills, though the Knicks have yet to arrange one recruiting visit.

The Knicks never felt comfortable enough with Olowokandi to beat the Wolves'
three-year, $16 million offer. The best the Knicks could have offered was a
six-year, $36.5 million deal.

"There was interest," Chaney said. "We got beat out. We wanted to meet with
him and sit down with him before making a commitment. But he signed before we
got that chance."

Pacers center Brad Miller is the last legitimate front-line, free-agent
center who hasn't signed, but the Knicks have to work out a sign-and-trade with
Indiana. They could offer Kurt Thomas and one of their point guards. Denver is
interested in Miller and still has cap room. The Pacers were involved in
sign-and-trade talks yesterday, but the Knicks weren't seriously involved.

The Clippers, meanwhile, were happy to see Olowokandi go. As one source
familiar with the Clippers' thinking said, "He's high maintenance. He thinks he's
Wilt Chamberlain."

The Olowokandi signing was shrewd maneuvering by agent Bill Duffy, the former
college roommate of Wolves GM Kevin McHale. Duffy represents both Rasho
Nesterovic, the Knicks' top choice, and Olowokandi. Duffy filled Minnesota's center
void when Nesterovic signed with San Antonio.