Jermaine, what sayeth thou?

The timing of the Bird announcement is interesting coming as it did
sandwiched between Kidd turning down SA, and the July 16 signing
period.

Could it be that Indiana has in essence traded Jermaine O'Neal and Isiah
Thomas for Larry Bird and Rick Carlisle?

Word is that O'Neal had all but inked his name to a lucrative seven-year
contract with Indiana after his top priority (Isiah being retained) had
been assured.

But that was yesterday and today is today.  Thanks to Joumana and babe
opting to stay put near the Big Apple, there is that little matter of
2nd choice O'Neal now falling into a definite job offer from SA.
And with the announcement of Bird taking over at Indiana, there is also
that little matter of just how long favorite coach Isiah will be
retained.

In the context of team play/chemistry vs. individual talent, I wonder
if franchise player O'Neal could ever be anything more than a mixed
blessing to Indiana.  By all accounts, O'Neal has contributed more than
a bit of dissension to the NBA's most underachieving team.  Not in his
favor is his outspoken criticism of Artest, Tinsley, Mercer, and just
about every other teammate.  Seems like the only person O'Neal has
bonded with in Indiana is Isiah, the very guy who Bird says he will
now sit down with and seriously attempt to edit their two distinct
styles into one smooth-reading page.

In a few days we will know where O'Neal ends up - Indy or SA.
And that will tell us all we need to know concerning the future direction
of Bird as well as the futures of Thomas, Carlisle, even Brad Miller.

 Egg