Hunter takes aim: Celtics pick fights odds for spot

by Steve Bulpett
Saturday, July 12, 2003

Brandon Hunter didn't think he made a good impression on the Celtics in his
private workout here. He was coming straight from predraft camp in Chicago and
hadn't gotten more than a couple hours sleep between the night before and the
plane ride.

The Ohio University banger had left for the airport some time after three in
the morning, ``got here at like 10 and was on the court at 11, so I was
extremely tired. I mean, extremely. My head was hurting, I was so tired. I
hadn't slept at all. We were going hard and I didn't really think I had a good
workout. To be quite honest, I thought they might have said I sucked.''

Evidently not. The Celtics took him with their second-round pick (56th
overall), and now the reigning NCAA rebound leader (12.6 a game) is in
minicamp with the club in preparation for next week's summer league. He didn't
tiptoe around his belief that the Celts have a need for what he can provide -
even at a measured 6-foot-6, undersized for a power forward. His goals are
simple.

``Just to show them that I belong,'' he said yesterday, ``to show them that I
can help the team in a lot of different ways. Being in college for four years
and watching the Celtics for a long time, just seeing them not being a great
rebounding team - being really good defensively, but once the ball goes up,
not going to get it. . . . And then somebody just gets a bucket and just lays
it in, that kills you, takes a lot of air out of you.''

You don't have to tell Jim O'Brien, who nonetheless poured some cold water on
Hunter's chances at making the club (tight roster and all that). But the coach
likes his game and wouldn't mind a bit if Hunter played overseas next year so
the Celts could retain his rights.

``He's a tough guard inside,'' O'Brien said. ``His size is a little bit of a
detriment, but he creates an amazing amount of space inside (and he) can use
both hands. He's a hell of a scorer and a tough-nosed guy. I think he'll
probably have a very good summer league.''

Hunter thinks he may have a chance to stick on another NBA roster if he can't
stay here. He believes a year in Europe or the minors may not be all that
helpful.

``I'm a quick learner,'' he said. ``I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm
pretty smart. Even in school. I just pick up on things quick. I listen, too.

``With my athleticism, my quickness, my strength, I know for sure that I can
finish over bigger people. It's all about learning. I see a lot of guys in
this league that just kick people's butts that are bigger than them.''

Celtics notes

Antoine Walker stopped by yesterday's morning practice looking quite svelte
(word is he's been hitting his workouts hard in Chicago). 'Toine is back for
his charity golf tournament out of Mohegan Sun. . . .

Kris Clack can't buy a break. The Celts' second-round pick from 1999 is back
again after time in the IBL and Italy, but he dislocated his left shoulder in
Thursday's morning session. According to trainer Ed Lacerte, he's done it
before ``several times.''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx