Re: The News Today Makes Me Sick

Ray, you're right. The Celtics aren't in position to challenge the Nets or
Pistons over the next three seasons, and probably aren't in position to
challenge the Pacers. You can make good cases for Orlando and New Orleans as
well, and the Bulls are going to make a significant leap either this season
or next.

BUT... There are no shortcuts for the Celts. If I'm Ainge, my goal for the
next two years is getting Vin Baker off the books. That's it. I don't know
if it's a buyout or attaching him to Antoine in some lopsided trade or what.
But my goal is to get him off the books at the same time Antoine's contract
is scheduled to come off the books. That would allow the team to be serious
players in the free agent market in 2005, hopefully with a nucleus of
Pierce, Banks and an emerging Perkins. If they can't find the right deal for
Antoine this offseason, then try again next summer. Keep taking small steps
to change the team, until in position to make the big moves in free agency.
The key to accelerating that timeline is Baker. Get him off the books any
way possible.

IF a great opportunity pops up between now and then (Brand, etc.), great.
But don't take your eyes off the bigger picture of clearing those two max
contracts and becoming a player in free agency.

As for Bird... He never would have put up with Pagliuca's meddling. Ainge is
friends with Pags, so he can manage that relationship better. Even if the
new owners had wanted Bird, LB wouldn't have come. It just wasn't going to
happen here unless he had been able to work with Belkin and buy the team.
And that didn't happen. So Bird goes to a great situation in Indy, probably
to be reunited with Rick Carlisle next summer, at which point the Pacers
become the team they should be.

And as for Lampe... Be careful. The clips of the guy are less than
inspiring. He looks like a big stiff. I have no doubt he can shoot, but
there's a reason the Knicks are talking about making him a center-he's not
nearly athletic enough to play anywhere else. I think Lampe may be a Chad
Ford creation brought on by Euro fever. Jason Collier comes to mind-a big,
slow-footed, sweet-shooting stiff. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'll admit it if I
am. But be prepared to do the same if it turns out YOU'RE wrong about the
guy.

Mark