la summer league

The summer pro league got underway in Long Beach on Sunday. I managed to catch
2 and a half games. Two of the games were between free agent teams and the
third was between the Lakers entry and team Canada. Aside from Cedric Ceballos
the first two games had no players of interest. Cedric looked old and in pain
as he lumbered up and down the court. Amongst the Lakers players were Pargo,
Rush, Walton, Cook, Karim Abdul Jabbar,  our old friend John Thomas and high
school to nba bust Leon Smith. Smith at times looked lost and insecure in the
half court set but he made some nice plays on the defensive end. Thomas seemed
somewhat effective and as always played with hustle. Walton had some nifty
passes but not much else. Cook was very mobile and was pushing Canadians
around in the paint with no problem.  Pargo and Rush were far and above the
two best players on the court. Karim ( Kareems Son) looked terrible and it's
easy to see why he's not in the league. As far as the game goes the Lakers got
up and remained in control until the waning moments when they sat the pros.
Team Canada closed to within one and actually shot a three to tie the game in
the last seconds but it came up short.