[no subject]

It would take a certain type of team and coach to see beyond the issues and
want Walker enough to put in a serious offer, and Ainge not calling won't
change that. Remember, Danny never said he wouldn't accept calls.

The King James version

The situation is still fluid, but it appears LeBron James is a pretty good bet
to be with the Cavaliers for their summer league game against the Celtics a
week from tomorrow at UMass-Boston. The questions surround a couple of award
shows he's been invited to Tuesday and Wednesday, and the potential offer of a
chartered jet may solve things . . . if he even goes.

Clearly the 18-year-old is in a whirlwind, but he should feel comfortable when
he gets to play ball at summer leagues here and in Orlando (this week).

Word from the front is that he's handling things well.

It's funny how many people go into a meeting with James expecting an immature,
spoiled kid and come away delightfully disappointed. James worked with league
types (as did all the top draftees) in New York, and folks were marveling at
his earnestness and easygoing nature.

And - oh, yeah - he can play. New teammate Darius Miles wants James installed
as Cleveland's point guard, invoking the name of Magic Johnson. And the high
school flash didn't back away from the challenge - or any others.

``As a 6-(foot)-8 point guard, I can rebound and do what Jason Kidd does,''
James told reporters. ``There's a lot of mismatches for a 6-8 point guard,
it's like going back to the Magic Johnson days. At whatever position I'll
play, I'll bring the willingness to win because I don't accept losing very
well.''

The first numbers look good for the Cavaliers. There were 10,107 fans in Gund
Arena on draft night just to watch the proceedings on the video board - pretty
heavy stuff considering the club was last in the league in attendance this
past season.

Happy, too, at two

Maybe it takes someone from Eastern Europe to be excited about going to
Detroit, but No. 2 selection Darko Milicic didn't want to keep his joy hidden.

Knowing where he was going, Milicic wanted to wear a Pistons jersey under his
suit and rip his regular clothing open to reveal it when he was picked. Piston
president Joe Dumars appreciated the sentiment, but nixed the idea.

``I told him no,'' Dumars said with a laugh. ``You don't need to be ripping
your suit off on national television.''

There was early talk that new coach Larry Brown wasn't a big Milicic man, but
that doesn't seem the case at all now. Larry was lavishing the praise on the
youngster.

``He's not going to be in a position where he has to turn our team around.''
Brown said. ``He's not going to be in a position where he is playing with
other young kids trying to find their way. If I don't screw him up, he will
make progress and show what he's capable of doing. I've told some people, if
you see any bad habits, blame me because he doesn't have any bad habits right
now. He will be a contributor for us, I just don't know how quickly.''

Brown gave Milicic high praise by comparison.

``Danny (Manning) could handle the ball and had such a great feel for the
game,'' Brown said of his former Kansas pupil. ``I see that in Darko, but
Darko is stronger, bigger and maybe a little better athlete . . . and Danny
was as fine a college player as I've ever seen.''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of pick_upBH.gif]