Re: Berry/Walker

< but why would you overlook Paul's shortcomings and not
his running partner's? > - pdelevett

Because we were discussing Walker, not Pierce?

It has frustrated me for several seasons now.  Every time a poster
dares to complain about Walker, Toine supporters feel compelled to
introduce ''St. Paul's'' warts to the debate.  I know not why, for as Hill
says, it is comparing apples to oranges.

Make no mistake, Toine supporters.  Long before Ainge was hired, owner
Pagliuca was out there not so subtly racing about testing the Walker
trade waters. And if you don't think Danny is out there aggressively
attempting to free his team of Dr. Strangeshoot, then you are in abject
denial.

Dr. Strangeshoot's career has been a race between stardom and catastrophe.
Some have embraced the Walker wiggle while others have embraced the
Walker wobble.  Toine's star has shone brightly when games were going
well, but when games were not going well, he all too often has exposed
his dark side.  All those childish technicals born of frustration, all those
panic turnovers, and all those just say yes to 3bs with 18 seconds
remaining on the shot clock... am I to believe they were all but a figment
of a Pierce supporter's imagination?

Alas, poor Dr. Strangeshoot has been the ultimate mixed blessing,
the childish toy of our juvenile debate.  One drop of realism could have
saved his soul.  But prithee, he has always been a half drop shy.  The
harder he has tried to be all things to all, the less effective has been
the play of our dear anarchistic jack of all trades master of none.

It is not so much what Walker has done or not done for our team, but
what his presence has stopped our team from doing.  Like Berry says,
Walker has been just versatile enough to damage our team structure.
His unique multi-dimensional skills were never capable of atoning for
their resultant void of a classic PF or distributing PG.  Once Dr.
Strangeshoot learned how to stop worrying and love the bomb, his
presence not only dissuaded more accurate shooters from taking
additional shots but also lulled our BDT into scoffing at the need for
signing a real 2nd scorer to disperse the army of defenders who
surround Pierce. I disagree with Josh that Walker is able to command
a double team most of the time.

But on to my major point -  Walker supporters hang their hats on his
unique versatility. Yet if DOUBLE-DOUBLES are considered an accurate
assessment of a player's versatility/consistency, let it be known that
TWENTY power forwards recorded more double-doubles than Toine this
past season and two more (including the one-dimensional Ben Wallace)
tied him for 36th place among the NBA elite.

At last glance, it appears that Pagliuca and Ainge have been foiled
in their attempt to replace AW with Karl Malone, but have smartly
progressed up to $.38 on the dollar for his services from another team.
That is more than I expected they might end up with.

2002-03 Regular Season Double-doubles
  1. Kevin GARNETT ( Minn. Timberwolves)    68
B  2. Tim DUNCAN ( San Antonio Spurs)        58
B  3. Shaquille O'Neal ( Los Angeles Lakers) 46
B  4. Chris WEBBER ( Sacramento Kings)   45
B  5. Elton BRAND ( Los Angeles Clippers)    44
B  6. Jermaine O'NEAL ( Indiana Pacers)  43
B  7. Dirk NOWITZKI ( Dallas Mavericks)      41
B  8. Shawn Marion ( Phoenix Suns)           38
B  9. Troy MURPHY ( Golden State Warriors)   37
B  10. Pau GASOL ( Memphis Grizzlies)        32
B  11. Brian GRANT ( Miami Heat)         31
B  11. Jason Kidd ( New Jersey Nets)     31
B  13. Donyell MARSHALL ( Chicago Bulls) 30
B  14. Shareef ABDUR-RAHIM ( Atlanta Hawks)29
B  15. Gary Payton ( Milwaukee Bucks)        28
B  16. Brad Miller ( Indiana Pacers)         27
B  16. Yao Ming ( Houston Rockets)           27
B  18. Amare STOUDEMIRE ( Phoenix Suns)  25
B  19. Jamaal Magloire ( New Orleans Hornets)24
B  19. Kenyon MARTIN ( New Jersey Nets)  24
B  21. Kobe Bryant ( Los Angeles Lakers) 23
B  21. Stephon Marbury ( Phoenix Suns)       23
B  23. Carlos BOOZER ( Cleveland Cavaliers)21
B  23. Karl MALONE ( Utah Jazz)          21
B  25. P.J. BROWN ( New Orleans Hornets) 20
B  25. Zydrunas Ilgauskas ( Cleveland Cavs)  20
B  25. Paul Pierce ( Boston Celtics)         20
B  25. Jason Terry ( Atlanta Hawks)          20
B  25. Kurt THOMAS ( New York Knicks)        20
B  25. Jason Williams ( Memphis Grizzlies)   20
B  25. Jerome WILLIAMS ( Toronto Raptors)    20
B  32. Tracy McGrady ( Orlando Magic)        19
B  32. Steve Nash ( Dallas Mavericks)        19
B  34. Juwan HOWARD ( Denver Nuggets)    18
B  34. Antawn JAMISON ( Golden St. Warriors)18
B  36. Kenny THOMAS ( Philadelphia 76ers)    17
B  36  Ben WALLACE ( Detroit Pistons)        17
  36. Antoine Walker ( Boston Celtics)      17 (78 games, 41.5 mpg)