Re: Still think we use some point guard improvement

<< I agree with your premise that a pure PG can make for easier shots for
 teammates but I think your example of Boykins is suspect.  He has been used
 more as a scorer than anything else.  He is averaging less than 5 assists
 over the last 10 games but has attempted just over 100 shots.  And I won't
 mention how he can be abused defensively.

 But I agree that every team will benefit from a creative PG.

 Cecil >>

I used Boykins as an example  to demonstrate on how inserting a particular
point guard can change the pace of the way a team is playing. Boykins, like
Spud Webb, forces a team to fast break by being so quick and getting up and
down the court so fast that he drew three of the retreating defenders. This
openned up the trailing guys for shots and/or layups. This style of play
would really roll with Walter and Kedrick and utilize their natural athletic
ability. It would be a great change of pace option to throw at teams with our
half-court offense our normal offense. However, Obie has never valued the
fast break so I'm just whistling Dixie.

I have also  been impressed by Boykins ability to get the ball to the post
and distribute the ball... I am also less concerned about a smallish point
guard as long as you don't combine him with a smallish shooting guard. The
zone defenses today can protect an individual matchup. There also is a great
incentive to get the ball down the court and look for easy buckets before the
zone has a chance to set up. I don't think the league has caught up to how
smallish point guards with real point guard skills can affect the game with
the rule changes. I think a El Amin (with a lack of knowledge of other
available point guards out there) would be a great fit for the Cs right now
(uptempo for Walter and Kedrick and can get the ball to Baker in the right
spot if the break doesn't work), as a backup for Bremer (who helps the
half-court game with his three point shooting)...

DJessen33