Go Celts!

Its basically going to be the Milwaukee Bucks versus
Hickory HS, Indiana, tonight. It should be fun for a
change to root for an underdog/lotto team.

The ball still has to rotate around a lot, and all the
role guys (Eric, Kedrick, Walter etc.) have to be on with
their top-of-the-key and corner threes. We could use
another 25 assists, to have a chance at the upset.

I agree with everyone that Vin Baker has to be a kick-out
machine, and thus much more integrated into the offence
by his pals Bremer and Shammond. Our superstar, Paul
Pierce, also has to set the tone by setting up
teammates...then later deliver the whammy when it counts.

There is a perception that all of us bash on Paul Pierce
for trying to do it all by himself in the 4Qs (at the
expense of ball movement and team play).

But I'm sure I'm not the only one who has watched
basketball long enough as a fan to know what 4Qs actually
look like. Without Paul Pierce doing more or less
precisely what he is doing, the Boston Celtics would be
toast this year.

You've got teams out there like Sacto spot-up shooting
and whipping slick behind the back passes all night long
like the Harlem Globetrotters, but then when the last
three minutes roll around against the Lakers it always
becomes a game of "hot potato" as no one (except "Mini
Me") asks for the ball, or wants to dribble it.

Meanwhile, a guy like Kobe (no matter what he's done all
game) will suddenly improvise, slash for fouls, get the
other team over the limit, kick out to the open guys.

Fans on the Celtics e-list blame Paul for bottlenecking
our 4Q offense. Fine, to an extent that's always true.

But my point is that by far the main thing is that
defenses are different in the late 4Q and in the
playoffs. In every game you channel surf through, its
exactly the same situation. You know it, and I know it.

NBA teams can't keep playing like its still the middle
quarters. Someone has to step up and break the mold.
Someone has to not be afraid to fail.

If Paul (and Antoine) left it up to others in the 4Q, the
opposing teams superstars would step up and take those
games from us. It used to happen all the time.

On a much lower scale, we'd be like the Sacramento team
without Mini Me...except that Boston's spot-up shooters
are truly lousy compared to what they have. (BTW, I
wonder if the bench-warming Turkoglu is available?)

Setting all of the above aside, it is also patently
obvious this year that Paul Pierce (his 40% accuracy on
treys a thing of the past) has won more games for Boston
in the 4Q than other superstars are doing for their teams.

Do you think Boston is a truly great team when you break
it down to individual talent? Or do we just seem to have
a lot of guts and pride? Yesterday, the Globe or Herald
called the Philly game the second biggest 2nd half
comeback of the season. I must be losing my memory (what
was the first?) but that's the kind of team we have.

But what's impressive about the Philly and Milwaukee wins
is not that we came back from (or nearly blew) monster
leads.

Its that Philly was STILL up 95-91 with a minute and a
half left or whatever. They had it back under control.
Milwaukee (or was it Indiana?) had built back a 5-point
cushion late in the game.

But that's always (ALWAYS)when the "real" 4Q starts, and
that's when Boston's stars stepped up and won, instead of
quitting with frankly all the excuses in the world.

Everyone in the house knows exactly who on Boston is
going to get the ball. Call it a breakdown in team
concepts. You can even (idiotically) call it "selfish".
Yet that is at the root of what creates shots and winning
opportunities for the Celtics.

Our crunchtime guys have been DANGEROUS. In Boston, we
are NOT talking about Doug Christie and Chris Webber type
personalities. Paul Pierce may not be a great dribbler
like Kobe, or a good much less great outside shooter this
season. But he is a 6-foot-and-7-inch freaking Mini Me.
Sure he needs to trust his teammates. In fact, I'm
probably giving Bibby too much credit.

With good reason, I feel very comfortable when the ball
is in Paul's hands in the late 4Q, in the same way
Antoine Walker always hands the ball off to Paul late in
the game. No one is forcing Walker to do that, that's for
sure.

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?