Deveney on Pierce v. Milwaukee

Pierce isn't likely to go down without putting up a
fight tomorrow night. Here's what Sean Deveney just wrote
in TSN, in a flattering piece about a subpar game.

p.s. I remember a few years back late in the season when
Milwaukee had two of their "big three" out, and they
still handed our ass back to us on a dixie plate. I'm
sure most fans have long forgotten about that game, but
maybe we can get a bit of revenge tomorrow.

PIERCE KNOWS HOW TO TAKE A LICKING
By Sean Deveney - Sporting News

It's the first quarter of a game in Milwaukee, and
Celtics shooting guard Paul Pierce is lowering his
shoulder into Bucks center Ervin Johnson under the
basket, positioning for a rebound. As the ball caroms
toward the two, Pierce reaches around Johnson and
clutches the ball. Johnson does the same. Johnson has
five inches and 25 pounds on Pierce, but Pierce is not
letting go, and the two fall hard to the floor, a
tumbleweed of muscle, determination and high-tops.

Fast forward a few minutes, and Pierce has the ball
beyond the 3-point line, guarded by Ray Allen. With a
stutter-step move, Pierce leaves Allen behind and drives
to the basket, where another Bucks center, Jason Caffey,
has been keeping his eye on Pierce. As Pierce enters the
paint, Caffey welcomes him with a two-handed shot to the
gut. Pierce hits the floor, then hits the free throws.

In all, it would go on to be a tough night for Pierce. He
shot 6-for-22, committed three turnovers, was whistled
for five fouls, hit the floor six times and faced seven
defenders -- ranging from 6-3, 185-pound point guard Sam
Cassell to 6-8, 265-pound behemoth Anthony Mason. And
this was against the Bucks, a team not known for its
defensive fortitude.

"If you're going to beat them, you have to be physical
with (Pierce)," says one of the many Bucks who covered
Pierce, forward Tim Thomas. "You have to knock him out of
his game."

Pierce is familiar with the knocking. This year, more
than any other, he has dealt with an array of defenses
designed to ensure he takes as many blows as possible. No
player has gone to the free-throw line more -- Pierce is
on pace to take 776 freebies, the most of his career. He
is too good with the ball for opponents to prevent his
penetration altogether, but teams are trying to inflict
pain when Pierce comes into the paint.

"No question, they are being more physical," he says with
a laugh. "I've got the bruises to prove it. I have gotten
a reputation as one of the better scorers in the league,
and I go to the bucket. Teams are trying not let me get
to the hoop, and the best way to do that is hard fouls.
I've been getting a lot of those, getting knocked to the
ground."

Because the Celtics are thin at center and don't have a
real point guard, Pierce, along with power forward
Antoine Walker, must pick up the slack in other areas.
Pierce leads the team in points and is second in rebounds
and assists. Factor in his natural inclination to hunt
loose balls with abandon and battle big men on the
boards, and this has been the most physically draining
season of his five-year career.

That has at least two effects. Celtics coach Jim O'Brien
is quick to point out that, even though Pierce goes to
the line a lot, there are a lot of calls he does not get.
Referees are reluctant to repeatedly send Pierce to the
line, so Pierce often must shoot while being hacked. That
helps explain why his field-goal shooting is at a career-
low 39.1 percent, 5.5 percent below his career average
before this season.

He has also looked tired, and that has to be a concern
for the Celtics over the course of the season and into
the playoffs. Pierce had a hectic offseason, playing in
the World Championship in Indianapolis and taking on the
emotional drain of testifying at the trial of the men who
attacked and stabbed him at a Boston night club in
September 2000. Still, Pierce has started every game and
is one of just 13 players averaging 40 minutes. It has
been three years since a hamstring injury kept Pierce out
of a game, a span of 244 straight starts, at the
beginning of this week.

That's fortunate because, even as solid as Walker has
been, the Celtics now rely on Pierce as much as any team
relies on one player. Pierce is criticized for shooting
too much, but that's ridiculous. He has no choice.
Against the Bucks, he was in the starting lineup with
Walker and three bench guys -- undrafted rookie J.R.
Bremer, second-year man Kedrick Brown and the Celtics'
dud offseason acquisition, Vin Baker. Though his shot was
not falling, Pierce had to keep shooting -- because who
else would? Pierce must shoot his way through bad games,
and that doesn't help his percentage.

"Teams are out there doing everything that is allowed in
the rules -- zone, box-and-one, all kinds of junk
defense," says teammate Eric Williams. "A lot of stuff
that is not in the rules even, if you know what I mean.
But great scorers are going to score, and if this team is
going to win, he has got to put up shots."

As time was winding down in the game against Milwaukee,
the Bucks had clawed back from a 16-point deficit to
trail by two with less than a minute to play. The Celtics
had the ball and an opportunity to seal the game. Pierce
managed to get open for a 16-foot jumper and, despite
being a horrendous 5-for-21 to that point, took the
jumper and rattled it in.

"What did I miss, about 10 or 15 shots in a row?" Pierce
says. "Well, if it is there, I still have to take it.
It's my job to take it."

Sean Deveney is a staff writer for the Sporting News.
Email him at sdeveney@sportingnews.com.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?
slug=pierceknowshowtotakealic&prov=tsn&type=lgns

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?