Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Fans can come down on either side of the coach versus
players'league debate. What George Karl is saying in the
papers about shot selection is right of course, but all
he does is sound like a nag at times...it will be "in one
ear and out the other" type of communication. He's also
too quick to go to the papers in criticizing individual
players.

I can almost sympathize with what "Jesus Shuttlesworth"
is trying to say: players KNOW when they take a bad shot,
but that doesn't mean a coach has to carp on it until all
sponteneity disappears.

Truly, I don't think even Pitino was ever half as tone
deaf and insensitive as Karl is. I can't believe the
public bickering that's become an accepted form of
communication on that team. If I were Larry Bird and
Belkin, my attitude would be buyer beware.

Nothing would please me more than for Boston to open
another can of whupass on them even without Walker,
Battie and Delk, but Paul Pierce needs to try not to get
too caught up in the emotion. He can play a lot better
against them than he has this year.

Original URL:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/jan03/112247.asp

Allen stews on bench
Karl's floor plan vexes Bucks guard
By TOM ENLUND
tenlund@journalsentinel.com

Last Updated: Jan. 20, 2003

The way guard Ray Allen started the Milwaukee Bucks' game
against the Boston Celtics Saturday at the Bradley
Center, it appeared as if he would have a career scoring
night.

But by the time the final buzzer had sounded in the
Bucks' 97-95 loss, which snapped the team's five-game
winning streak, Allen had scored 13 points and had not
been a major factor in the game.

After practice Monday, Allen was critical of the way he
was used in the game.

"That pissed me off," he said. "To me, there was no rhyme
or reason to how I am being played. If I am going to
play, I want to be playing basketball. I don't want to be
on the bench collecting dust. I didn't like what happened.

"As a starter, I want to be on the floor."

Allen - who played 36 minutes in the game - made his
first four shots, but misfired on his next 10 attempts to
finish the game with a 4-for-14 shooting line, including
3 for 8 from three-point range.

"Right now, I've got a lot of good players on the bench
and getting them into the game is one of our strengths,"
Bucks coach George Karl said.

"I don't think he played shorter minutes than usual. He's
a 35-minute guy and that's probably what he'll play the
rest of the way unless he gets on a hot roll or
something."

Allen got off to a torrid start Saturday, sinking his
first three shots, all three-pointers, to get Milwaukee
off to a 9-2 lead. But those would be the only shots he
would get in the first quarter and he went to the bench
with 3 minutes 24 seconds left in the period.

Allen played 8 minutes in the second quarter, scoring two
points on 1-for-3 shooting and missing a pair of three-
point shots. Allen played the entire third quarter,
missing all five of his shots - two from beyond the arc -
and scoring just two points on free throws.

In the fourth quarter, Allen went scoreless, missing all
three of his shots, including one from beyond the arc.
Allen did not start the fourth quarter, but entered the
game with 7:38 left after the Bucks had trimmed a 13-
point deficit to eight.

After the game, Karl said his team had a "unique blend"
on offense and that when the Bucks passed the ball they
played well, but added that his Bucks wanted to "play in
a crowd," which created a sense of frustration.

Karl has also been speaking lately of a need for better
clock management and that he was going to start yanking
players for taking bad shots.

Allen does not like the sound of that.

"That's going to frustrate me," Allen said. "We've got to
play. A bad shot is a bad shot. We're scorers on the
floor. There's going to be a mesh of bad shots and good
shots. We know when it's a bad shot, but we've got to
score. You can't take away who I am. What I get paid to
do is score baskets."

Karl's get-tough policy on shoddy shot selection has been
referred to as his "prevent offense." Karl's "prevent
offense" is apparently an attempt to keep his team from
self-destructing by taking too many wild shots.

"The personality of your team changes," Karl said. "We
need to be more solid and fundamental. We were getting
too wild and goofy. We think we can win games with stops,
fundamentals, and clock management. We can't afford a
wild and crazy shot selection."

During last week's trip to Toronto and Philadelphia, Karl
talked to his team about the "cancer of selfishness," but
his words may have fallen on deaf ears.

After the game with the Raptors, Karl was critical of
quick shots that were taken by Allen, guard Sam Cassell
and forward Toni Kukoc. In last Friday's game in
Philadelphia, Cassell got a quick and obvious hook in the
third quarter after he fired up a shot that was not to
Karl's liking. Cassell was visibly upset about being
taken out of the game.

Reminded that Cassell wasn't pleased about being pulled
out of the game, Karl said: "I had 15 other guys who
weren't too happy with him. Sometimes I have to manage
the team to protect him from getting killed by his
teammates.

"Any time you have the lead, there's a management
mentality," said Karl. "The quicker you play, the more
possessions you give to the other team. You talk about
early shots - when you pull an early shot, there is a lot
of responsibility to make it.

"We can't play crazy."

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?