Re: Looking for a cheap backup center?

> ---------- Initial message -----------
> Another guy who might fit this bargain-basement,
> doesn't-hurt-to-check-him-out mold is Stanley Roberts,
> who was just reinstated after a drug suspension. Sure,
> he hasn't played in 3 years and was hardly tearing up
> the league when he did. But he put up decent numbers
> with Minny a few years ago: 6 points, 5 boards, 1
> block and 49% fg shooting in just 18 mpg. And he's
> B-I-G.
>
> Desperate times call for desperate measures. Would it
> hurt to look?

Pete, that's an interesting suggestion. Judging by the
Baker flop to date, Stanley would probably have to have
decent speed (not the drug) and mobility to play in
Obie's system, but it would be worth a look. I have a
feeling he's not as old and washed up as we
imagine...maybe a year or two older than Shaq at most.
There was a sympathetic article about him in SI a few
months back. Shaq seems to love him like a brother.

Joe H

p.s. Last night I watched the Trojans-Arizona game on TV
to check out some of AZ's touted draft prospects. Luke
Walton threaded some passes only a few people his size
can make. He's worth the price of admission for that, I'm
telling you. He'd fit right in on the Sacramento Kings,
with the behind the back touch passes etc. The mechanics
on his jumpshot look fine too.

But from what I can see he moves no faster than his dad
did (which is far too slow if you are only 6-8). The
Wildcats can't really afford to play man-to-man with him
out there, I'm sorry to say. I never really saw him
sprint though...maybe he's deliberately moving at half
speed. He's not a huge effort guy on defense or the
boards either, but he knows how to work the angles. His
mental and physical stamina might be a concern.

In a sense, it would be nice if we could rebuild the
bench around old school players like Luke Walton and
Adrian Griffin, but that's not the direction management
has chosen.

The Celtics probably would win more under Obie if they
got another intimidating defender/rebounder, even if the
team needs a third scorer and playmaker too. Someone with
a non-stop motor like Havlicek, and a mean streak like
Ron Artest.

Imagine the effect Ron Artest would have on Pierce and
Walker? Out of sheer terror, we would be focused on
winning games, 24/7, even in our sleep.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?