RE: Stay patient with Kedrick

At 12:01 PM 1/17/2003 -0500, you wrote:

* Well coming out of college where Billups had never played the position
before, why was it wrong to mention that he would need more time to adjust
to the position?  If you knew he was going to turn into a decent guard who
can defend and score, seems you should have been lobbying to keep him.
No, because he was drafted to be a point guard (at #3, no less) and it was just apparent that he wasn't going to become one. And he hasn't.
He's a decent third, combo, guard on a team that has solid starters at 1 and 2. In other words, a luxury the Celtics, already overloaded with combo guards and 2-guards at the time, but missing a PG, couldn't afford.

Anyway, with respect to Kedrick and Tmac, I suspect that Tmac averaged those
points in  quite a few more minutes than Kedrick has received and was under
less pressure to give the ball up to the "scorers" as well.
Like Mark has pointed out numerous times, he hasnt' received more minutes for a reason. He's useful in certain limited situations, defending athletic scorers who are too much physically for Ewill or Delk. I wished for the longest time that Obie would give at least a few minutes a game to him to see what we have. Now it's happened. Has Kedrick made a compelling case to give him more? They're basically playing 4 on 5 on offense with him, which, for a kid of his athletic talent, is inexcusable.

* Judging by these Augmon stats, I guess you would have predicted he would
have been much better than Tmac AND Kobe :-)
It doesn't work that way, and you know it. Lots of guys decline or flame out in a few years, even if they were putting up good stats in the beginning. We have Prime Exhibit A on our roster. My point was that no star has had years 1-2 like Kedrick's and then exploded onto the scene. I guess Jermaine O'Neal comes closest, but it was an open secret among GMs that he could really play in practice for the Blazers, even though his stats were very modest (but still a lot better than Kedrick's). And that was because he couldn't get PT on a team loaded to the gills with frontcourt talent. Remember when Pitino had offered 3 #1 picks for him and we thought he was out of his mind? Well, I doubt anyone'd offer a single #1 for Kedrick now, unless it's really low.

Again, I REALLY hope you're right, Cecil, and Kedrick just needs more time. But you've always preached patience, and while that's nice, it eventually becomes a waste of time if the player hasn't "got it". If Kerick become at least a starter-quality player, it will be a first for players on his current statistical curve and players from JuCo. There have been very few (any?) successful JuCo players in the NBA for a reason. The reason might be selection bias. That is, if the kid isn't smart enough to meet the laughable Prop 48 standards and play for a Div I school, he probably will have trouble in the fast-paced NBA environment. Contrary to what a lot of people think, NBA stars tend to be pretty smart - maybe not highly educated in the usual academic sense, but intelligent nonetheless, even if they don't sound like Bill Bradley. You have to be, to pick up plays, coaches' instructions, players' tendencies, and in general to figure out what works and what doesn't, and quickly compute all the possibilities in a given play. Judging from his comments, Kedrick doesn't strike me as dumb, but his basketball intelligence may be lacking. If you can't figure out what to do after 2 years of practices, summer leagues, and preseason camps, maybe you can't figure it out. It's certainly not the lack of coaching, given how much effort the Celtics staff expends working with him extracurricularly, and not the lack of physical tools.
Kestas