JR and Kedrick

FWIW, I give JR credit for apparently working on that
lefty shot throughout his DNP-CDs.

I remember Bremer in his earlier appearances this year as
having a distinct flaw in his shot. The ball came off
flat, and with a low release point in front of his body
that looked blockable or alterable with tight NBA
defenses.

(His FG% coming into the weekend attests to that problem.)

One thing Bremer is is a natural pull-up shooter. He can
get to a spot and get that shot off. And it comes off his
hand as smooth or smoother than it does on a catch-and-
shoot.

Another strength for Bremer is how aggressive and
successful he has been, from day one really, at getting
all the way to the hoop. He's pesky and hard to stop. It
takes great confidence to drive that length against the
quick hands and long arms of NBA defenders, since you
have to beat two defenders. When Walker used to try the
same stuff, it usually ended in a block.

I'm not too worried about defenses adjusting to Bremer,
as much as his game eventually cooling off. I'd say
exactly the same thing, though, about the presently stone
cold Shammond Williams (who put on even more memorable
dribbling and shooting performances than Bremer earlier
this season).

Every roster player in the NBA seems to have a great
night at least once per year. But I hope this is the
start of something good. The comparisons with a young
David Wesley seem very apt. Both are strong kids for one
thing.

I'm still not convinced he's an NBA pointguard in any
sense other than his listed height, but a lot of assists
can come out of his staying aggressive and, hopefully,
shooting lights out. We really need it. He made excellent
reads on several plays that led teammates toward the
basket for scores. I can't say I've seen much of that
from either Shammond or Delk this year.

As for the Houston game, I'm telling you there was
something really wrong with the boxscore.

Apart from a brief stretch early in the fourth, the
Celtics were the more aggressive team rebounding and
boxing out on our own end, against the #2 rebounding team
in the league. This kept us in the game.

In that sense, Boston must have had more than 21
defensive rebounds in that game (plus a solid 12
offensive boards). That has to be a season low in
defensive boards.

Also, I've commented that several recent boxscores made
Antoine look better (or less mediocre) than his actual
play. But in the Houston game, I felt Antoine must have
been reasonably close to a double double or triple
double.

Instead he showed only 6 rebounds (3 assists). I don't
trust the official scorekeeping on that. Time and again
Antoine was a magnet to the loose ball. He's had 10
rebound nights where he was much more invisible in that
facet of the game.

Overall Antoine played his best shot-selection game in a
long time. Also, its been a while since Paul Pierce hit
75% of his trey attempts, or we had three guys score over
20 points.

These performances were wasted, because we allowed 50%
shooting.

You can throw all the other secondary reasons out for the
loss IMO, although at some point Chris Wallace will have
to address a bench that shot us out of the game (3-20
shooting).

I have a very, very hard time believing Kedrick Brown was
ever in his life a 40+ shooter on three-pointers,
regardless of the propaganda we've read and his published
college stats.

He's wide open when he clanks them. Its like there is a
little invisible devil on his shoulder telling him not to
shoot, just before he releases the ball.

Of course JR Bremer was also 2-18 on treys coming into
the San Antonio game. But he was not a good jump shooter
as an amateur, whereas Kedrick was.

We're going to need Kedrick to shoot that shot with more
confidence...and accuracy. Or not shoot at all.

And maybe dribble the ball once per game, when no one is
looking.

Vin Baker and Battie probably dribble the ball more often
in a game than Kedrick. And at least Battie's 3-point
attempt looked like it had a 25% chance of going in.

Kedrick looks like he couldn't make 2 out of 10 in an
empty gym. He shoots like he's never attempted the shot
before in his life.

I don't care how good an athlete you are, there is no way
this kid could have averaged 10-15 points per game in CC
or any other amateur level (much less 23 ppg), unless he
was much, much more assertive creating shots for himself.
It just wouldn't happen. Too many lesser athletes are
more than happy to hog shots. The Celtics team needs him
to be more assertive, whether he realizes it or not.

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?