SHIRA officially named VP of PR firm Springer, Coffman, Bulpett and May.

< ''However, there are realities that you have to deal with in today's
NBA, which is that virtually every team in the league wants shorter
contracts coming back than they're sending, or at worst equal. >
-Chris Wallace

< ''We're using our time on all these fronts,'' >
 -Chris Wallace

Except for Baker and the European market?  How can this silver-tongued
devil talk such sense yet act so senselessly?  The ''Ask me anything
about the current 16 yr. old Boston upwardly mobiles" Papile influence?

Egg
--------------------------------------
Good deeds not rewarded
A few positives for Celtics on 1-3 trip
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 1/15/2003

The NBA schedule-makers always provide the Celtics with an
opportunity for midseason evaluation in the form of a brief swing
through the Western Conference. Last year, the Green traveled to
Utah, Phoenix, Los Angeles (Clippers), and Sacramento at the end
of December, coming away 1-3 with more than a few lessons learned
the hard way. Yesterday, the Celtics returned from a four-game trip
to New Orleans (an Eastern Conference representative), Dallas,
San Antonio, and Houston. They again went 1-3, learning a few hard
lessons.

There were positive aspects of the trip (the emergence of J.R. Bremer
and Kedrick Brown) and negative ones (rebounding deficiencies and
the breakdown of Vin Baker following his DNP against Dallas). Bremer
and Brown were pleasant surprises, giving the Celtics much-needed
depth and lineup flexibility. But the obvious shortcomings on the
glass against Dallas and Houston, and Baker's sensitive psyche
were nothing new.

''The one thing I caution everyone about is we lost every game in
Texas last year, too,'' said general manager Chris Wallace. ''It's much
more difficult to win on the road than it is at home. The stats bear
it out. Second, it was a very difficult trip because those are probably
three Western Conference playoff teams.

''So, on the barometer side, I thought we did a pretty good job in
San Antonio and Houston. Basically, we did a lot of good things,
just didn't win the games. And I thought we played better in those
games than we did last year in those locations.

''It's very encouraging to have a player like J.R. draw a starting
assignment [against Houston] and respond the way he did. We
outrebounded San Antonio, got Kedrick going with some playing
time, and that was positive. So I take more positive than negative
out of the trip.

''I would love to have the wins and `steal' some games that maybe
people didn't expect you to win. That takes a little pressure off you
down the road. Even though we're 1-4 in the last five games, I think
we've played better basketball as a whole than we did in the five
games prior to that. I think we're playing better and the bench is
expanding.''

With the NBA trading deadline a little more than a month away,
an opportunity for self-evaluation could not come at a better time.
There are 45 games remaining in the regular season, and the Celtics
must figure out whether they can round into playoff form with what
they have or whether they need reinforcements. Last year, Boston
brought in Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers, practically at the 11th hour.

''You are always looking to upgrade your team,'' said Wallace.
''However, there are realities that you have to deal with in today's
NBA, which is that virtually every team in the league wants shorter
contracts coming back than they're sending, or at worst equal. There
are not too many teams that are looking to take on more financial
burden than what they already have. With that in mind, there's a
situation in the NBA right now which is like gridlock on the highway,
because you can't have everybody accomplish that.

''We'll approach it as we do every year. We'll go out around the league
and see what's going on and canvass the other teams and basically
see if there are any opportunities out there for us. I wouldn't say
we're definitely doing something, nor would I rule it out. It's very
difficult to handicap the odds.''

The shorter, more movable contracts the Celtics currently hold
include those of Brown, Bremer, Shammond Williams, Eric Williams,
Bruno Sundov, and Ruben Wolkowyski. That said, Eric Williams is a
favorite of coach Jim O'Brien and a defensive leader, so he's not
 going anywhere. Bremer and Brown are just beginning to tap into
their potential; why give them up now?

Bremer scored 13 points against San Antonio Sunday night, then
followed with 22 points, 6 assists, and 2 steals against Houston
Monday night in his first NBA start. Brown, too, made strides during
the trip, displaying the defensive intensity and overall energy that
will earn him more playing time.

The emergence of the youngsters might soon be complemented by
the presence of veteran Grant Long. The 10-day contract given to
Mikki Moore expires tomorrow. Long, meanwhile, continues to rest
the left hand he broke during a pickup game about three weeks ago,
and he remains on the short list of candidates to fill the 13th roster
spot on a more permanent basis.

''We're using our time on all these fronts,'' said Wallace. ''I don't want
to rule Grant out and I don't want to rule him in.''

The stretch of games between now and the All-Star break offers
another opportunity for the Celtics to evaluate where they stand.
Tonight against Atlanta is a prime chance to snap the losing streak
at three. Then the Celtics face Eastern Conference power Indiana
for the first time Friday. With the exception of games against
Denver (Jan. 24) and Seattle (Feb. 5), Boston will have a steady
diet of Eastern opponents.

Paul Pierce will have his college number - 34 - retired at Allen
Fieldhouse Jan. 25, at halftime of Kansas's game vs. Arizona. Jo Jo
White will have his Kansas number - 15 - retired Jan. 27, at
halftime of the Texas game. Each will attend his ceremony.