See - it can be done

Rafer Alston and Damone Brown? Tell me it ain't so, Joe.

It has happened so many times ... the All-Pro quarterback goes
down in the first period and since the 2nd-string QB is also
incapacitated, on comes the 3rd stringer who just happens to
throw for 320 yards and... VOILA, a stolen victory.

Last night, Toronto dragged their sorry 9-28 asses to Washington
as 8 pt. dogs.  The Wiz might well have been favored by 15 but that
their bright light, Stackhouse, would be in street clothes.  What a
difference the loss of one key player can make.

No doubt about it, Toronto is currently the top contender for this
season's walking wounded award.  Vince Carter, Lindsey Hunter,
Voshon Lenard, Mamadou N'diaye, Michael Bradley, Chris Jefferies,
and Nate Huffman all missed last night's game with assorted
injuries.  So far, Carter has missed 28 games, Antonio Davis 17
games, Hunter 12 games, Lenard (a solid vet. min. contract pickup)
15 games, and on and on.

But a funny thing happened on the way to Toronto's 29th loss
last night.... THEY WON.

My point?  Just maybe Obie should stop being so damn stubborn,
insecure, and retro.  Damn it all, if your preseason, close-to-
the-vest strategy isn't working, then loosen up, Obie.  Stick
in Baker, Bremer, Brown, the  "if you loved me in Sept. than
you'll love me in ... "  Sundov, even skeletal Mikki Moore.
And just see what they can do.

You might be very surprised.  And it just might afford your
overworked, oppressed, and tired-of-your-coaching
7-man rotation,  the relief and support and psychological lift
they need.

It was never as much about needing a thirteeth man as it was
about not utilizing the twelve.

Egg

----------------

Roundup: NBDL Products Alston, Brown Lead Raptors
Toronto Wins Second Straight After Skid
.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (Jan. 14) -- A couple of pickups from the Mobile Revelers
and North Charleston Lowgators stunned Michael Jordan into silence.

Rafer Alston and Damone Brown, both playing on 10-day contracts
from the National Basketball Development League, scored 13 points
apiece, and Alston added 11 assists as the Toronto Raptors upset the
Washington Wizards 84-75 on Tuesday night.

The injury-ravaged Raptors won their second straight despite
dressing just eight players -- including 10-day signees Alston from
the Revelers, Brown from the Lowgators and Art Long, who was cut
this season by Denver. Alston and Long were playing their third game
with the Raptors; Brown joined the team earlier Tuesday.

"I don't think I've ever been in a position where guys don't even know
each other, don't know their tendencies or nothing,'' said Antonio
Davis, who scored just 10 points and was in early foul trouble.
"We were drawing up plays as the game was going on, and the guys
didn't even know the plays. But we stuck together for 48 minutes
and came up with a victory.''

Jerome Williams scored 14 points and had a season-high 20
rebounds, and Morris Peterson had 21 points for the Raptors, who
had lost 12 straight before beating Minnesota and Washington
back-to-back.

Alston, who made 6-of-10 shots, was hot enough to engage Jordan
in some trash talk.

"We play in the summertime together, and he would leave me open
and I wouldn't hit my shots,'' said Alston, who earned the nickname
"Skip to my Lou'' playing street ball in New York. "I told him tonight:
'I'm hitting these shots now.'"

Jordan and the Wizards couldn't have been more embarrassed.
They had won six of their previous seven, and on Monday they talked
about sweeping this four-game homestand and getting home-court
advantage for the playoffs.

Instead, they lost the first one, prompting an unusually speedy
locker room exit by Jordan and most of his teammates.

"No comment from me tonight,'' Jordan said. "No comment at all.''

Jordan scored 22 points, but he was just 3-for-12 in the second
half and 1-for-6 in the fourth quarter. The Raptors took the lead
in the third quarter and gradually increased it the rest of the
game -- and neither Jordan nor anyone else on the Wizards could
respond. They were outrebounded 29-14 in the second half.

"We had zero energy. We just were flat,'' coach Doug Collins said.
"It's about energy. It's about will. It's about going and doing it.
 We just didn't do it.

"I don't want to disrespect Toronto, but this has got to be more
important to us than it was to them. Yesterday, we were talking
about home-court advantage.''

The Wizards played without Jerry Stackhouse, who has a pulled
left groin. But that pales in comparison to a lengthy Raptors injury
brigade headed by Vince Carter.

The Wizards opened the game by racing to a 10-0 lead, then played
the rest of the contest as if they thought their work was done.
No doubt they were comforted when the Raptors cute-passed
their way out of a 3-on-1 break, leading to a turnover and a
Wizards basket at the other end.

But Washington took the foot off the accelerator, and Toronto
pulled within 20-18 by the end of the quarter. Still, the 12 minutes
produced an amazing stat for the Raptors: Temps Alston and Brown
came off the bench to score as many points (9) as the five starters.

The second quarter sped along in similar fashion. The 10-day
connection looked nice when Alston fed Brown for a layup, and the
Raptors headed into the break down 43-38, even though they had
been whistled for 11 fouls to the Wizards' four and were being
outrebounded 30-18.

Williams led the Raptors to their first lead, outrebounding the
entire Wizards team 6-1 during a 6-0 run to open the second half.
Larry Hughes (8), Jordan (4) and Brendan Haywood (1) were the
only players to score for Washington in the third quarter, and
Toronto took a 59-56 lead into the fourth.

The lifeless Wizards went nearly five minutes without a field
goal midway through the fourth quarter. Williams scored the
first five points in an 11-5 run during that stretch.