Re: Darius Songaila

John Heydt wrote:

  In any case being a
> long time Celtic fan  I don't have
> the same enthusiasm watching this team than I have in the past.
>
> I have been a Celtics fan since 1948 and in all those years I haven't been as
> depressed with this team as I am now and there were a few bad teams during
> that era.  This team is not much fun to watch for the most part and the
> future, at least to me, appears pretty dim.  The only possible salvation is
> that there are new owners.  However, even that optimism is tempered by their
> statements of support for Wallace, Papile, and O'Brien.
>
> John

In 1960 I was 7 years old and saw my first Celtics game. I have been
rabid ever since, (ask my wife) This year, for the first time since the
introduction of VHS, I am not taping the games and I just haven't been
paying much attention. Gaston, Pitino, and the present "braintrust" have
robbed me of my enthusiasm. This team always did what it needed to to
win. An Eastern conference finals appearance would have brought a
shoreing up of holes to take the next step to the NBA Finals. Instead,
we have been robbed by the bottom line mentality of Gaston Inc. I don't
blame Wallace for the Baker trade, (Gaston saved a $1 million) but the
three #1's and other drafts have not been good. Endorsing Wallace and co
"beyond their current contracts" does not give me reason for optimism.