Shaqzilla

Here's a nice commentary by Chad Ford in ESPN Insider,
courtesy of bdodgers' post on JB's list. Its another
reason to dislike the Lakers, not that we need one.

Friday, January 10    Updated 10:17 AM EST

Shaq under fire for Yao-bashing

by Chad Ford
Send an Email to Chad Ford

Shaquille O'Neal may be one of the most beloved figures
in the NBA, but his recent verbal attacks on Chinese big
man Yao Ming is starting to raise a troubling question --
is Shaq a racist?

Some feel Shaq's recent comments in his escalating war of
words with Yao have crossed the line from trash talk to
racial slurs.

AsianWeek columnist Irwin Tang recently called out O'Neal
for several derogatory comments thrown in Yao's direction.

"Tell Yao Ming, 'ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh.' " O'Neal
said to a reporter recently in a mock Chinese accent.

When asked this summer how he would greet Yao, Shaq said
his elbows would do the talking.

"Street," O'Neal said of what is awaiting Yao in the
NBA. "Playing in a gym, shooting jumpers and all that ...
that's fine. But I'm street. I'm how to take a 'bow to
your nose and (make you) think about what I'm going to do
next time down."

Those aren't the only times Shaq has threatened Yao or
mocked him for being Chinese. And Shaq isn't the only
one. Charles Barkley has had his fun with Yao. Even the
league itself has perpetuated stereotypes, including a
recent Miami Heat promotional giveaway of 8,000 fortune
cookies.

Yao, ever the diplomat, has stayed above the fray. He has
joked alongside Barkley, sparred a bit verbally with
O'Neal and said he found the fortune cookie promotion
amusing, even if the Chinese in China don't actually eat
fortune cookies.

Insider talked to several people close to O'Neal on
Thursday. All of them were emphatic that O'Neal is not a
racist. He was trying to be funny, they explained, and
would never intentionally degrade someone because of
their race. In fact, they were quick to point out, the
NAACP recently honored O'Neal with its Young Leaders
Award.

But even if Shaq was simply trying to be funny, Tang
thinks the NBA, and the media, are employing a double
standard when it comes to Asians.

"Let's not beat around the bush," Tang writes. "If a
white player had, for instance, made monkey sounds to
taunt a black player, it would have been a national
controversy. But Yao is Chinese and Asians are fair
game ...

"Forgive my bitterness. I grew up in Texas, facing
those 'ching-chong' taunts daily while teachers averted
their ears. I love basketball, and when Yao was drafted
by Houston, I had to suppress my excitement, lest he turn
out a complete flop. I went to see the Rockets play the
L.A. Clippers on Dec. 12. Yao is a huge young man with
huge skills. But he's also a kid in a foreign land. You
can tell by the way he carries himself when the ball is
not in play. My heart goes out to Yao Ming. Yao Ming is
our Asian Jackie Robinson, though he does not face the
intensity of animosity Robinson faced. Unfortunately
Shaquille O'Neal is the modern-day Ty Cobb, the rough-
playing baseball superstar who used the n-word about
Robinson."

Tang is not the only one ruffled by Shaq's comments. I've
received several reader e-mails over the last week about
the issue. One long-time Insider reader wrote me Thursday
to express his sadness over Shaq's comments:

"If this is accurate, it is pretty reprehensible," he
wrote. "Too bad Shaq did not attend the World Basketball
Championships. He might have found it as culturally
enlightening as the rest of us. I will never forget the
vigor of the Argentinian crowd after Emanuel Ginobili
dunked all over Russia, or the Chinese flag-waving, 4-
foot-10 Yao fan at the US-China game. ... At least Allen
Iverson has seen the light. Yao is truly, 'A gift from
god.' "

In a league that has been the model for integration for
all ethnic groups, the issue shouldn't just be swept
under the rug. Only Shaq knows what his true intentions
are. But the thing about racial remarks is that the pain
felt by those on the receiving end is very real, even
when the intentions are benign. The NBA knows China, and
its billion-plus potential fans, deserves better.

Ironically, the NBA announced the results of the latest
All-Star voting numbers Wednesday, and Yao had widened
his lead over Shaq for the starting center position on
the Western Conference team. While some look on in
dismay -- Brent Musburger reportedly lamented on ABC's
Christmas Day broadcast that "the hordes of China"
(another veiled slur?) might stuff the All-Star ballot
box -- others will see it as a sign of hope. Hope that
the borders that still demarcate the game will one day
dissolve. Hope that the league will include the fans who
follow the NBA faithfully throughout the world. Hope that
there will come a day when we embrace players based on
their level of skill and the content of their character,
and not on the color of their skin.

Tell Shaquille O'Neal to 'Come down to Chinatown'
Irwin Tang / Asian Week
Yao widens lead on Shaq
Jonathan Feigen / Houston Chronicle

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.