Re: Subject: Steve Beauregard come on down, and other amusements from an ugly loss

Hi All,

What a gross game the other night. I believe I read it in the Globe. The
Celtics are the most wobbly team in the league. Win games they are expected to
lose and lose games they are expected to win. While this game was no gimme
(Jordan is revived, the vets are getting more playing time and coming
through), this was in a sense a "must win". They needed to reestablish
themselves among a lower tier conference team, especially before the road
trip. Let's not forget this was a revenge game for the 45 point pasting they
got in DC. Similar to the Crushing the C's got at the hands of the NEts on
Christmas, I expected the C's to come out firing. THe first half they seemed
pretty much in control, but the second half was bad. *Moment of the night* Did
anyone catch Oakley yelling at Twoine to pass to a wide open teammate? MAn, I
wish we had the Oak Tree on our squad. He would crack some heads, for sure. As
they say, plenty of time to right the ship, but the signs are ominous. YEs,
Dan the "D" stinks and I Was pondering that on the way home myself. IF you saw
the (whole) game Christmas vs the NEts, that sums up our differences. They
have more coaching, athletes, players, hustle, etc but the key is they have
their way inside (with althleticism and set plays) and we have no inside. The
Nets always seem to be setting something up inside and have a purpose, whereas
the C's look like a ball in the weeds...lost. I'd like to see Battie come
back, but I'd really like to see him get a heart transplant also. Also, I
still do not LOVE Wal-tuh. Please, Chris, let's not sign any 7 ft beanpoles to
shoot the 3. Sorry for the rant.

Ah, Kim, I was really hoping to sneak by unnoticed. I was asking people on
this list if anyone was going to the game so that I could meet and say hello.
That was really it. I had no idea I was going to be doing that. I was chosen
before the game. For those who were not there there are about 8 or so people
chose to dribble the ball from coast to coast and then beat the clock and make
a layup, or if you are too slow, which I think I was, to pull up and take a
shot. Well, the first 3 people all blew it. Gave me hope! THe prize, btw, was
2 free round trip tix on southwest anywhere/anytime, which would have come in
handy sicne I was hoping to tkae the family to Disney. Having 2 free tix would
have been nice. Anywho, my shot at fame comes up and I could not believe it.
18,000 people watching you. I really thought I had it all blocked out, even
the guy on the mike counting down. I was all set until I heard "...3...2" and
when I looked down and realized I was just before the free throw line, it then
hit me that I was in danger of not getting a shot off. So then I hustled the
rest of the way and I came in so hard that when I layed it up, when it left my
fingers, I immediately knew that it was too hard. It bounced off the backboard
right where I wanted it but it was too hard and overshot the rim. CHOKE. I
have a newfound respect for players when they miss a layup. I sit on the couch
and say,"HOw the heck did they blow that bunny?" Well, now I know. I still
maintain those new backboards are tight; tighter than a tennis racket. If I
ever get the chance again I will remember. After I missed, I felt bad enough
but I heard 18,000 (give or take) boos raining down on me. I don't know if it
was because the crowd expected me to do it, because they were frustrated
seeing everyone else miss and vented it on me or what. At least I now know
what I feels like to be Bill LAimbeer (kind of). After me, 3 inner city
(ringers) all nailed the layup. Then this big, 250 pound guy, wearing fishing
boots tried it but not before getting the loudest ovation of the night (even
louder than MJ's). HE missed and we all had a good time. I was talking wiht
the eventual winners int he tunnel and I said what about the crowd? THey told
me "Aint no thang. We do this everyday!"

So that is what I say about the Celtics. We'll see you in the playoffs.

Thanks Kim! THanks to you and the power of the internet I have taken much
grief. I really did not think I would ever be noticed...

Peace

Yes folks, our own listmate Mr. Stephen Beauregard of Maine was part of the
half time show at tonight's Cs game. Unfortunately Mr Beauregard -being an
extremely loyal Celtics fan- showed how in tune with the current bunch he
was by missing the layup. But hope he heard and appreciated the cheers from
the balcony when they announced his name and I realized why he had asked if
anyone from the list would be at the game tonight.

As for the game? *shrug*, an ugly way to lose a game but it happens.
Leaving aside the last few bonehead plays, you could make an argument that
this game was won at the line. Unobtrusively to me until it was pointed out
that the Wiz were getting 4 times the number of FT attempts as the Cs. It
eventually 'evened' out to only twice as many, but most of the other stats
were remarkably close so that the FT difference weighed heavily. Some of it
was the Cs own fault with the usual settling for outside shots, but a fair
degree of it wasn't, including MJ still getting some superstar of
superstars treatment. There were other ways they could have and should have
overcome this to win but didn't, obviously, but in a fairly even game the
FTs mattered.

Pregame shoot around was not without amusement as our newest acquisition
took the floor. I can't tell you how relieved I was to see him NOT taking a
bunch of 3s. Mostly 15 footers and layups. The layups actually got amusing
as his slamming one home seemed to inspire emulation by his new teammates
with a run of attempted power dunks (as much power as they could generate)
starting with JR and working it's way through a bunch of guys. I had hopes
the might consider playing with their new toy during the game itself, but
alas and alack...

Anyway, cheers to Steve for providing the list with a celebrity for the
night. As to the actual finalists - Steve, there were clearly ringers out
there tonight : )

Kim