Re: C's Considering Paul Grant

< As possible names for Celtics 13th man are tossed around, don't be
surprised if you hear the name Paul Grant. A seven-footer who played
three season at BC before transferring to Wisconsin, Grant has
apparently caught the eye of Leo Papile and the Celtic coaching staff.
I'm not really sure why > -WayRay

Well you know Papile's affinity for tall and soft.  Paul Grant was
a #20 pick in the 1997 draft.  At age 29, he has played in a total of
six NBA games. Only Papile's legendary bloodhound instincts for
smelling out the odd talent could bring us the likes of a Paul Grant.

Not that the addition of any practice player is going to essentially
improve this team. In light of Battie's unfortunate knee
problems, Grant Long seems to be the prime 13th man candidate.
Long owns a Bull Mastif named Hero, which is the closest he will
ever come to that word.  In his prime, Long was never an
effective rebounder or shot blocker and even these mediocre skills
have diminished with time.  This soon-to-be 37 yr. old FA averaged
28.3 MPG last season with 3.50 RPG, .18 BPG, and 6.3 PPG.  I am not
convinced that Obie wouldn't favor energizer bunny Waltah over
him at center. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Should I laugh or cry?  Or should I simply suggest that we don't
need a 3rd string, 13th man as much as we need a complete overhaul?
Somewhere along the line we must replace our poorly chosen pieces
with what we all knew we needed to begin with -  a tough rebounder
and a distributing PG.  Makes you wonder how our BT have remained
so blind to this fact.

ODD MAN OUT - WALKER?

- Our indispensable TEAM LEADER has so matured that he leads the
league in technical fouls.

- Our point forward last season averaged 5.0 apg; this season our
surrogate PG is averaging 4.6 apg.

- Our BEST REBOUNDER last season averaged 8.80 rpg.
This season he is averaging 7.70 rpg.  How come our leading
rebounder this season is our shooting guard?

Toine has retained his dismal .394 FG% which allows other teams
to continue to triple-team Pierce.  Toine's FT% has fallen from
.741 to .664, and Toine has more turnovers and less ppg than
last season.

Yup, Toine is the likely one to go ...  right after Wallace, Papile,
and Obie.

Eggy