If I owned the Celtics....

Here's what I would do if I owned the Celtics this summer:

1. Fire Chris Wallace -- I agree with Joe H. that you can't whine about the past (and also don't think that by saying that he was in any way giving the BDT a free pass). Wallace's tenure hasn't been completely bad but the 2001 draft and the Baker trade I think are mistakes, plain and simple. He's shown more bad than good in my book.

2. Go full throttle after Larry Bird as GM -- this isn't blind adoration. Bird -- as we all know -- is as good a basketball mind as there is. I think from a business standpoint its a good move too for the new owners -- but I don't know if Larry is interested in being a employee (as opposed to part-owner) of the C's. But i would try.

2a. If you can't get Bird, go after another ex-player, maybe even someone who hasn't been GM before. Look at the jobs Dumars, McHale, I. Thomas (who was also doing a good job in Toronto before being forced out), heck even Vandeweghe are doing. And don't forget that Jordan was doing IMO a good rebuilding/retooling job with a pretty sad Wizards team before coming back. And then you have Jerry West.

I think there is something to be said for the talent-evaluation skills of people who could play NBA basketball and play it well -- as opposed to scrubs like Randy Whitman & ML Carr (although I've always thought he got a little bit of an unfair rep. I think he was purposely taking one for the team. I mean you have to give him credit, he got us Antoine Walker for Eric Montross and a pick that begot Samaki Walker (IIRC)). I'd like to think that the Elgin Baylors of the world are the exception to this rule. Of course people like Wallace or Greg Popovich have been working at this all long enough to spot talent. But I think its an uneven ability. Ex-players like Bird, McHale, Dumars, Thomas (Hell, why not just hire anyone from the 86-88 Eastern conference finals) see things that others can't see because they've been there, done that.

Being a GM doesn't require the same motivational skills that being a coach does. Which is why Magic might have been a good GM, but couldn't coach. And why scrubs who might be bad GMs -- like Rick Carlise and Doc Rivers (who I guess you couldn't call a scrub, but wasn't even in Vandeweghe's class as a player), are good coaches.

Tomorrow: What I would do if I was Larry Bird or the Celtics GM (like anyone cares... ;-)