Re: Vin-sanity of a different sort

I get the digest so perhaps someone has already pointed this out already. If
so, my apologies.

Joe, if the Baker trade had not been made you simply DO NOT subtract V's and
Forte's salary from the $9 million that Kenny's expiring contract gives us.
That demonstrates how much more money Baker is taking home: he is making
almost as much as Kenny and V COMBINED (not quite that much, which was why
Shammond had to be included).

So, yes, you *would* have had virtually the entire $9 million to "play with"
in addition to retaining V and Forte. Neither of those two salaries needs to
be "subtracted" from Kenny's expiring salary to calculate our savings and/or
room-under-the-luxury tax.

To say otherwise is to be suckered in by the Wallace/Papile "new math" that
has been propagated to disguise the financial implications of the Baker
deal.

At "best" you can say is that the Baker deal "only" cost us $7 mil because
the $2 mil for Shammond (now Blount and Bryant) would come off after this
year, but that argument is still $2 mil versus $9 mil (the $9 mil does not
"disappear").

Let's do the math:
$9 mil (Kenny's expiring contract) + $5.7 (V) +$1 (Forte)  = $15.7 mil.
Baker's salary for next year $13.5 mil  + 2 mil (shammond's expiring
contract) = $15.5 mil

So the numbers add up: you could have had Kenny's expiring contract *and*
Vitaly plus Forte OR Baker and Shammond's (now Blount and Bryant) expiring
contract.

In short: $9 million PLUS Vitaly and Forte versus $2 mil plus Baker. (BTW
how in the world do you figure that after the Baker trade the "Celtics still
have 5 to 7 million to spend on a new player"?!?)

But arguing that Baker "only cost us $7 mil" still obscures fundamental
facts:

1) Need for a backup center - that was covered by Vitaly - not so by Vin. As
a consequence we just blew another 2nd round pick to reacquire someone we
most likely would have kept but for Vin's arrival.

2) You can lure a quality FA for the mid level exception ($5 mil) if you
have $9 mil worth of freedom under the luxury tax - not so if you only have
$2 mil. (BTW I'm not talking about out-bidding such an offer, just the
ability to make it in the first place. Your mention of "out-bidding" is just
another red-herring)

3) Other contracts may increase faster than the cap - so your $2 mil now may
be eaten up by existing contract obligations. But even if you subtract $2
mil from the $9 mil to account for this it still leaves you roughly $7 mil
to make an midlevel offer and a 1 mil exception offer - two more FA options
than we have now.

4) Interim bench contracts - do you really believe we would have been
scraping the bottom of the barrel (Wolko, Sundov) if we still had Kenny,
Vitaly, Forte, and possibly Blount or Strickland on board? This is an often
overlooked aspect of the Baker trade - the bench is now quite thin,
basically Waltah and a prayer. Unfortunately this is likely to be an ongoing
problem as long as Baker's contract is pushing us right up against the
luxury tax whereas without the trade it would have only been a one year
squeeze.

With regards to your dig about "whining" about Baker I must say I'm a bit
surprised. Although I've never hidden my views on the trade I hardly think
I've been winge-ing and moaning about it - if anything I haven't been
posting much at all lately and even then I think the few times I've posted
have had more to do about the status of the list than about the Celtics per
se (my bad).

My comments were not prompted by a desire to "whine" about Baker as much as
a concern for the truth (as I see it, natch). You said that Baker's contract
was not a big deal. Nothing could be further from the truth. Yes, it is an
unpleasant truth but that doesn't alter the fact of the matter.

Why is any of this important? Well, in the big scheme it isn't, it's just
sports. But in the context of sports (or any other endeavor) we oftentimes
have to have truthful access to the past in order to make better judgments
in the future, in this instance about the worth of Wallace and Papile in
evaluating talent and making trades. To simply "quietly move on" and allow
disinformation about the trade carry the day and color our perceptions to
the point where one could say "well, I guess the Baker deal was a mistake
but not catastrophic" misses the point precisely - it WAS catastrophic, not
because it will prevent us from competing for the playoffs (it won't) or
prevent us from enjoying rooting for the team (it can't) but because it was
so obviously the WRONG trade on EVERY level - financially, talent-wise, in
terms of chemistry, future team development, championship potential, you
name it. And it's not like we were all surprised - at the time the ENTIRE
LEAGUE was aghast - but Wallace was going to prove them ALL wrong. Everyone
makes mistakes but only a truly arrogant idiot takes on someone else's
*proven* mistake.

This mistake has had and will continue to have multiple negative
ramifications for the team. Many, perhaps most people still don't seem to
understand the depth of the difficulties introduced by it ("hey, we have the
same record as last season"). Merely glossing it over doesn't help. Unless
more folks understand how catastrophic it was/is I am not hopeful that
Wallace will be removed. I'm not as sanguine as you are that his head is
already on the block. Just look at the bozo GM over at Golden State and ask
yourself how long he's been there. I fear that we could well be in for a
similar experience [shudder] for as long as Pierce and Walker can both stand
on two legs.