Beagle thoughts...

On the way the C's play: Yes, it's annoying in games like the one against
Sacramento, where they hoist up threes even though all the stats, and
common sense, show they're doing all their damage inside.  But one thing
can't be denied--as pointed out with a startling insight from none other
than the team of Marv Alpo, Mike FratBoy, and Jeff Gumball--the C's are, up
to last night, anyway, exactly where they were last season, despite the
loss of Kenny Anderson, Rodney Rogers, and Vitaly Potapenko.  You show me a
style of play that uses the personnel the C's have that makes them any
better positioned for the playoffs, and I'll sing your praises.  Right now,
this is the best chance they have without a legitimate inside threat.

On Kedrick:  Kedrick benched because he can't shoot the three?  Gee, why
did they think he was considered a lock in the slam dunk competition last
year?  Hint: shooting from two feet is easier than from TWENTY-two feet.

On the trade: It was too much to hope they could move Vinnie, but the truth
is, we could use somebody who might make people think twice about driving
down the middle, and I don't think Tony Battie--though I like his
effort--really scares them.  I don't expect them to score, just clog up the
middle, at least a bit.

On Ref baiting and Tommy Heinsohn:  This will sound silly, but let me
explain.  Tommy Heinsohn's behavior makes the fans pay attention.  You see,
he explodes on calls A,B, and C.  Now some fans will automatically take his
side because , well, he's "perfect Tommy" (free Buckaroo Banzai joke).  But
others, at work, school, or online, will take issue, and that's when you
have to sit back and remember how the play went.  Then, you look at tape
the next time.  Or you watch other games with different
broadcasters.  Soon, you realize that *gasp* sometimes, Tommy's wrong.  You
also find yourself making calls before the ref does, and then wondering
aloud how the official could have missed it.

You've become a more educated fan.  You've learned to pay closer attention
to what happens and how the rules are interpreted.  Maybe last season you
didn't know what a three second call was--now you know which teams are
likely to get one.

Yes, Tommy is, at the least, an impassioned fan.  But that's what I WANT
from the hometown team.  What bothers me is the obvious bias from
TNT.  Listen to last night's game.  Inevitable, the Celtics were described,
past present and future, in a negative light.  The Kings, apparently, could
do no wrong.  Check the TNT ticker from last night.  It mentions EVERY
trade yesterday--EXCEPT the one from the GAME THEY WERE BROADCASTING.  What
was the primary topic at the Celtics/Kings game?  The Seattle
trades.  Boston's trade was mentioned as an afterthought.  If you don't
want so much favoritism toward the C's, TNT is the place to go.  They
talked more about the Knicks than the Celtics at times.

But when the hometown team is on the air, I want them to be rooting for our
team.  You can see what's going on as well as--or better--than Gorman and
Heinsohn.  You're free to call their views Truth or Hooey.  Also, remember
Tommy is a former player and coach--he's been encouraged over the years to
have a definite point of view on how the team should play.  And while he's
dialed it down considerably, you KNOW he doesn't like all the threes.  He
just wants the team to win.  Is he brash and argumentative?  Yep.  He comes
by it honestly, from Red Auerbach among others.  I like it.

My gripe is that Antoine Walker yaps too much at the refs.  It doesn't help
that he has that penetrating high-pitched voice that yells "WHAT?" like
Michael Jackson at a Vice Squad raid.  He needs to shut up and let his
coach handle the refs.  His job is to play the game.  It's like Heinsohn
himself said once during a broadcast, that when coaching, he needed to
learn to pick his fights.  Walker needs to learn the same.  The fact is,
that calls will go against Boston because they're not endearing to the
other teams, other teams fans, or the officials.  When the C's learn to put
games away so that bad calls don't really mean anything, then things will
improve.  Except of course, if Violet Palmer, Ken Maurer or Scott Wall are
working.  Then it's anyone's guess--and I do mean GUESS--how the calls will go.

Walker isn't alone.  Pierce sometimes fixes a stare at the refs that make
people glad looks can't kill.  Coach O'Brien is like me--he makes smart
comments loud enough to be heard by his intended target.  And there are
players on other teams that have a tendency to jabber at the refs.  Walker
is the co-captain of the Celtics.  He needs to make sure that when he
speaks to the refs, they are willing to listen.  That won't happen until he
learns to occasionally shut up and keep playing, and vent his frustration
by beating the other team decisively.

On Vinnie Baker:  I wanted him to work, really.  But it's not
happening.  The best way he could help the team is to retire at the end of
the season in such a way as to take the rest of his salary off the Celtics'
table.  I think he is trying, but he's not succeeding.  Now that we've got
Blount and Bryant, all they have to do is play at least as well as Vin to
beat him out of the rotation.

On Sundov:  Leo Papile tripped over him?  Riiiight.  Bruno is sitting
because the tallest guy the C's have can't play inside for beans.  He
should probably pack his bags now, because I doubt he'll be here next season.

On Chris Wallace:  Why, oh why can't we trade HIM?  God knows, even an
annoyed Larry Bird would be better than a smug Chris Wallace.

On LeBron James:  Has anyone noticed this kid can't play defense?  Against
High School kids?  He's not worth the boatload of money someone's going to
willingly pay to land this walking billboard.  I'd guess he's about 3-5
years from being a very expensive role player.  Kind of makes him ideal to
replace Vin Baker, doesn't he?

On the refs: Ack. Phooey.  The other words aren't fit for all ages.  :>)

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle
Please visit the
<http://users.mfi.net/fluteaphrael/celticsbeagle/celtics.html>Celtics
Beagle <http://users.mfi.net/fluteaphrael/celticsbeagle/celtics.html>website