Re:Post West coast trip notes

>Van Gunny said that Obie instructs his players to either shoot the three or
7
>foot inward. He discourages the midrange shot....

** Believe it or not, the midrange shot was Paul's specialty in college.
I've often wondered out loud why he doesn't pull up and shoot the open jumper
more often. It was automatic, especially his Junior year.
 I guess that answers that.
Roy Williams is like the Bizarro O'Brien.  He thinks the three point shot
should be used at a minimum and only by select players after first trying to
get the ball inside.  Paul averaged only 2.8 attempts per game for his
college career.
LaFrentz, who most everyone thinks of now as a three point shooter thanks to
Dan Issle, shot a total of 35 in 131 games.

What's wrong with mixing it up a little?  It keeps the defense guessing and
gives you confidence that you can do other things to win even when your
three's aren't falling.

>>Grant Long is taking over Kedrick's role as 3 point shooter....

** Is that sad or what?

>>I don't think Dick Harter's defense work against the Princeston offense.
Both
the Nets and Kings run the Princeston offense....

**I've pointed that out before.  Any team that runs, cuts, passes, and
constantly moves gives this team fits.  O'Brien says it's poor defense.  I
think it's great offense against a defense that is not set up to deal with
it.

>>Obie finally admits that it isn't defense that puts players on the floor.
It
>>is whether you can shoot the three or not....

** Is that Bakers new excuse?

>> don't like it but Obie just may have a chance with his three-point
shooting
strategy.

**  Maybe.  But how much is too much?  Why can't we diversify just a little?

>>However, I believe it can only be successful it you have a guy who
>>can penetrate to open things up for the three-point shooters. It is too
much
>>to ask PP to do that the whole game. If you really want this offense to
work,
>>you got to get a point guard who and dribble around and suck in the
defense.

**  I've said this too.  I think Bremer could play that role if he could just
get out of the perimeter mindset.  The question would be what is O'Brien
asking of him?  Is he pushing him to get the ball inside in practice?  Or is
he harping on the outside shooting like he always seemed to be doing with
Shammond?

>However, the thing
>that really makes the deal nice is that we get the 2 million trade
exception.
>Since we know that Obie can't develop players, look for the Cs to take their

>two no. 1s plus Kedrick and the 2 million exception and get a significant
>>players next summer....

  Gee, with Wallace and Papile's sterling track record, I can hardly wait.

TAM