shammond & vin

Gotta agree with DJessen that the value of S Will's
expiring contract was hardly gonna net us much more
than it did. And I don't know that we should lambaste
Wallace for this one. After all, Slick Rick traded,
then reacquired, E Will. Spurs did the same with Sean
Elliott.

One way to look at it: Obie & Wallace thought they
could go in a different direction, replace the big
lumbering brutes with jump-shooting seven footers. Now
that it obviously ain't working, and that the team is
frighteningly reliant on Battie's balky knee, Baker's
fragile ego, Long's creaky bones and Walter's
coat-rack physique, it made sense for the C's to add
beef, and even more sense to bring in a guy who knows
the system. (At least Blount won't try to cop Vin's
line about how long it takes to learn! You'd think
Obie was asking Baker to master Swahili.)

I do agree with the point somebody else made that
Shammond gave us somebody who, in a pinch, could
create his own offense. We will be even more dependent
on Delk's sporadic contributions now. But I guess I'd
lean more toward adding more muscle than keeping a
little-used reserve PG on the bench. It's not like
Blount's contract will kill the team. And hey, Long
and Mark Bryant can wow the kids with tales of what it
was like to play against Moses Malone.

One last thought: even short-handed, and losing by 20,
Obie gives Vin his second DNP-CD of the season. Think
he's sending another message? God, it's a sad day when
a former All-Star has to look over his shoulder for
the likes of Mark Blount and Mark Bryant.
http://taxes.yahoo.com/