Re: No more excuses

From : "James A. Hill" < jahill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >

Your choice of Rome wiping out Carthage is appropriate as Carthage used to
sacrifice it's young (future) as our BDT have sacrificed our draft picks
(future).
True, this is another parallel that can be drawn from Mediterranean history. You might as easily say that Obie has sacrificed our future by not playing Kedrick Brown. (Unless you mean to include Obie in the "BDT" -- sometimes he is around here and sometimes he isn't.) On the other hand, Wallace turned JJ into Delk and Rogers, which was very good until Paul Gaston refused to pony up the dough to sign both Rogers and Strick. Forte was bad pick, especially considering who else was out there. Brown could still become a good player. There are other draft picks, of course, but they haven't turned out particularly well (except for Pierce). Wallace, et al, seemed to draft with a mind towards never keeping the guy anyway (Pepper, Klack, Songaila), could that have been under orders from Gaston to cut down on salaries?

In Carthage's case it aided in their failure as a civilization.
For a basketball team it doesn't look much better.
The classical interpretation of the Third Punic War is the overwhelming inability of Cato and the Romans to let it go, even after Carthage was no longer a threat. All civilizations fail. Your point about how sacrificing youth for short-term gain is spot on, though. I'm not sure you're fully blaming the correct parties, but we've been over that before. And, as for the Boston Celtics, though the future isn't looking the brightest, no one can know for certain what will happen.

Let's hope Wyc has a lot of Cato in him.
I fervently hope not. Cato is hardly a Roman to emulate. (The irony is delicious, I know.)

"Semper ubi sub ubi"
Is this a (grammatical) command, or an advertisement for the company in Vancouver? If the former, it errs in it's blanket statement. For, clearly "always" wearing the article in question would impede some of life more ... shall we say ... necessary functions. Gotta like a good Latin pun, though. Seriously.

Paul Gaston delenda est.

Bird