Re: on the Mark

From : "Berry, Mark  S" < berrym@xxxxxxxxxxxx >

OK. Maybe I'm the only one who feels that you can't just disagree with
someone without being condescending to them. Like I said, a lot of people
disagree on this list, and that's what makes it great. It's your tendency to
attack not just the message, but the messenger, that is starting to rub me a
little raw. Like I said, maybe it's just me. I know I come across as a
know-it-all. I try not to, but I usually fail miserably. Just ask my wife.
But as much as I may disagree with someone's point and absolutely believe
I'm right, I still try to keep it on topic and not about the person posting
the opinion. I think with you, it's just the opposite.

I've been on the list for a long time and have had some spirited debates,
but I hope I've never belittled anyone with the tone of my posts. Joe and I
couldn't disagree more about some things-like Antoine-but I absolutely
respect his opinion and his right to it, and I think he feels the same way
about my opinion and my right to it. Same with Paul M. (I knew a good
Antoine rant could bring you out of hibernation, Paul).

But I've already wasted more time on this than I should have. Go ahead and
condescend to your heart's content. I've had my rant.
Well, I don't know what to say about your apparent problem. Perhaps it's your lack of heart, or you just can't stand competition, or you have some sort of metal problem. Or, maybe it's just that you and I disagree. I'll go with the last one. Oh, perhaps you're right, maybe I am condescending. Or maybe you don't get the humor. Or maybe it's condescending humor. Whatever. I did enjoy how you got to call me out, *and* get to say how it's not about the person, but the about the topic for you, though. That's pretty clever, the way you get to take the high road but also get to sling the mud, eh?

I certainly meant no disrespect to either you or Gene. Nor was I trying to "belittle" anyone. But just as you get to say what you like, I get to say what I like. And at least I'm not constantly calling people idiots or brain dead. But that's not belittling them. But it must be different, because they are not here to defend themselves. (OK, look, I realize that public figures are going to be justifiably subject to name-calling, it's just a little ironic to have you complain about belittling people when you do it so often yourself. I guess I could have avoided pointing that out in smart-ass way, but, there you go.)

Plus, it's ironic to get advice about being condescending from a self-professed "know-it-all". I guess you know what you're talking about, but I can't figure why I haven't seen you at any of the meetings? Just out?

I reserve the right to be condescending later, but I think my heart is content for now. If you're still worried (can't help but use the Vin Baker vernacular we've become so accustomed to these days), I'll say again I do respect your opinion, and your right to express it, as well. I've said many times you may be exactly right, but I disagree on some small points here and there, as well as your insistence in its near-dogmatic acceptance.

If that's come across as condescending or belittling, I apologize.

Oh, wait, one more thing. I think Paul Gaston ought to be destroyed, and the earth salted where he once lived. There. Heart's content.

Bird