Hello,

 You are right that all brain surgeons do not >
> automatically translate to great Bball strategists and that all Jr. College
>
> students do not automatically translate into second-class thinkers.
> But come on, Pete, who wouldn' t realize that?

Evidently you didn't realize that. That's why I commented.

Listen I realize your hung up on this Junior college thing..
And I was lucky enough to go do a Div. I college myself. But alas I don't
have Kedrick's income? Do you?

So I ask..how can you criticize a guy drafted 11th overall? Clearly
for his chosen career a Div. I school is not a necessity.

> What I had hoped when I submitted said post is that it would point out
> that despite his highlight film athleticism, Kedrick did not even as a
> high schooler have the discipline, motivation, advance planning, or
> smarts to gain entry into a Division 1,11, or 111 program.  And I also
> suggested that just maybe these past character flaws would
> continue to be his achilles heell.

ahh the great "discpline and motivation" that only applies to players who
went to Div I schools? I suppose KG and Amare Stoudamaire lack these skills
as well.
Why do you bother with this nonsense? Yes, Kedrick didn't go to Div. I..so
what?

He was drafted in the first round of the draft. Div. I could have very well
HURT his draft position. You can't argue with results now can you? Kedrick
showed exemplary career planning...if you ask me. I wouldn't mind his
paycheck.

If Kedrick fails as a basketball player I doubt it has much to do with
whether he spent to years at some academic powerhouse like West Virginia
having his "tutors" write his papers while he plays big man on campus.

 Moreover, it provides virtually no insight into his character..which by the
way is said to be exemplary. The same nonsense was floated about HS ballers
before KG arrived. College whether Div. I or not simply has no bearing on
basketball ability or character. It's as simple as that.

> This is what I keep hearing re Kedrick.  He is an athletic, likable,
> good-natured, well-meaning guy who just still doesnbt get it.  Thus,
> like Baker,  he continues to frustrate his coaches and fellow players
> in both practice and on the court... the very reason why Obie allowed
> him only 3 minutes against Detroit (Jan. 28) and zero minutes against
> Indiana last night.

Well personally I think you put to much stock into the coaching decisions of
this
Rick Pitino disciple. Baker last year put up far superior numbers and is said
to be be in better physical shape. I would think the problems with Baker and
Brown might have something to do with his insistence on funneling the ball
through the most notorious ball hog and poor decision maker in the NBA,
Antione Walker! And I like Walker..but point guard he is not.

In fact he was so insistent that he sent away our only capable point guard
for his
three point shooters.. Even J.R. Bremer has only very modest point guard
skills..compared to Kenny who languishes on the Seattle bench behind the real
point guard that we should have traded for instead... Gary Payton.

> think that Kedrick's limited minutes are only due to a series of
> matchup problems and nothing more.

Matchup problems?...We have them from not playing Kedrick. Sure he can't
shoot.. But at least he is a medium sized guard. Most teams are loaded with
two or three swingmen who contribute the bulk of the scoring. Trying to cover
them with the likes of our undersized points like Delk and Shammond is folly.
And this folly shows up in the box scores as losses.

> But the point is that the athletically-blessed Kedrick is NOT a great
> Bball player and I further submit that his present circumstance
> is largely due to both his nature and nurture.  I do not see his negatives
> suddenly reversing themselves due to additional playing time... especially
> under Obie who has no idea in hell as to how to cope with his likes and
> ridiculously continues to direct this poor, innocent, confused
> man-child to shoot the three when in fact that shot has never been
> in his vocabulary.

Kedrick right now is a poor shooter. Plenty of players exist who take few
shoots..and concentrate on playing defense/rebounding on like sized players.
I think Kedrick could be used in this capacity for now Even Walter should be
used more like this..rather then stuck playing power forward and centers

> < Some of the smartest people I ever played with made dumb passes
> and so forth..Why? because they don't know hoops..and they don't
> have the kind of abilities needed to be "smart" players. >
> -GuyClinch
>
> Does your last sentence not perfectly describe Kedrick?

Not really....I see a player who is having trouble with his stroke. He is
shooting 0.77 percent from 3 point land. .583 from the free throw line.

He averages 1.4 turnovers and 2 assists per 48 minutes. That indicates a
conservative bent..but lower certainly he doesn't seem to make stupid passes
or plays. I suppose his low three point shooting could be a "sign" of poor
decision making but I believe he is under orders to do what he does, and that
is to take the open three. Furthermore he recognizes that he must prove
capable of hitting threes to get PT under OB's system.

> < Besides, Kedrick problem isn't that he is clueless..its that he can't
> hit a damn jumpshot. That has nothing to do with book smarts, and
> luckily for Celts fans that a problem that can generally be corrected. >
> - -GuyClinch
>
> I'm not sure this  "problem " can be so easily corrected. The playgrounds
> of the world are cluttered with athletically-gifted players who never
> learned to hit the jump shot when it counted.  And I stubbornly
> persist in feeling that Kedrick IS clueless in several other aspects of
> his game as well... he always has been (i.e. ending up at only a Jr.
> College with his immense natural skills) and unfortunately always
> will be.

Eh..well.. I don't think junior college means much of anything....cept maybe
low SAT scores or something like that. And sure it looks possible nay even
likely that he won't make it big time..

But a jump shot is something that can be improved, and actually I don't think
the play grounds are "cluttered" with athletes like Kedrick. I have seen some
hoops in the city..and while we have some athletes here in NYC..I haven't
seen too many with Kedrick like hops.

I will admit Kedrick is looking like a bust right now...but I think there is
hope at least for a few more years for the guy. I think he helps the team
right now though....if only because of our lack of swingmen and athletic
ability.

Pete