Laker game

Just a few thoughts on the loss to L.A. ...

1.	Can we stash Walter back at the end of the bench now, please? Please?

2.	Nice to see Vin play better. They desperately need that. If they can get low-post scoring from him, it opens things up for everyone. Of course, Vin continues to get hammered on the boards and play lousy defense, but at least he was giving them something offensively. Of course, then they forgot about him.

3.	Can you believe Shira filed a game story from L.A. and didn't even mention the rebounding factor? Wasn't that the single biggest difference in the game? If the Celtics take care of the defensive boards, that game goes to the fourth quarter very much in doubt. Yet Shira didn't mention it. She also didn't mention Walter going 0-fer. But she wrote a lot about hack-a-shaq. Yep, that was the story of the game.

4.	On rebounding... I keep thinking this and I continue to be wrong... but doesn't Obie at some point have to consider this? I mean, it's great to hold someone to 40 percent shooting, but if they're cashing in on offensive rebounds over and over, it's meaningless. The bulk of the PF/C minutes right now are going to Blount, Baker and McCarty, three TERRIBLE rebounding big men. Doesn't he have to get Mihm more minutes? Last night was encouraging, but I'm betting Mihm only got those minutes because of the matchup with Shaq. If Baker is going badly, play Mihm and Blount together. And, of course, I'll mention Perkins and Hunter, probably the two best rebounders on the team. Rebounding is a HUGE problem, yet you never hear Obie discuss it. There has to be a happy medium between defense and rebounding at the big positions. I'll sacrifice some of the blitzing for a defensive rebound now and then.

5.	It took Obie all of two weeks to coach Ricky Davis to stand in the corner and wait for kickouts. Was anyone else frustrated at how much time he spent stashed in the weak side corner last night? The guy is an electrifying offensive player. Can we run a few plays for him, please? Is that too much to ask? Speaking of Ricky... am I the only one thrilled with this guy so far? He's playing within the offense, yet providing those uncoachable athletic plays that the Celtics never made before. He's also working hard on defense - he did a great job on Kobe last night - and rebounding and passing well, too. I know it's still the honeymoon, but I like what I see at this point. He's getting his 8-12 points each game without a lick of help from Obie.

6.	The guy who really makes a difference in this team is Jiri. When he's playing well, the team plays well. Jiri is struggling a little right now, and the offense is sputtering. The sooner he snaps out of this slump, the better.

7.	Last night, did I miss something with Mike James? Was he hurt or in foul trouble? It seemed like they could have used him when things got a little out of control in the third/early fourth quarter. Banks is progressing, but he took a couple of terrible shots in that stretch and didn't control the tempo at all. I felt like James could have settled things down a little and gotten the team some better shots.

8.	If I'm Ainge, I'm targeting young, rebounding power forwards who might be available. Guys like Chris Wilcox (Clips), Jeff Foster (Indy, a personal favorite), Chris Andersen (Denver). That's the last glaring weakness. In Banks, Welsch, Pierce, Davis and Perkins, Ainge has put promising players in place at all the guard/swingman positions and center. Lafrentz may be that power forward when he comes back. But a relentless rebounder sure would look good in green.

That's all.

Mark